Defoe gets death threats from angry Portsmouth fansJanuary 4th, 2009 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 4 (IANS) An angry Jermain Defoe said that he doesn’t intend to play for Portsmouth again after he received death threats from angry fans following the talks of his Tottenham move.A year ago, Defoe joined Portsmouth from Tottenham for $11 million and has scored 15 goals in 31 Premier League appearances. He was always in the first team until Tony Adams took over from Harry Redknapp in October.
But soon both Adams and Defoe fell out and the England striker was omitted from the team that played Arsenal last weekend.
Tottenham initially tabled a $14.5 million bid for the player, which was rejected by Portsmouth. And they are not prepared to pay the $29 million that Portsmouth are asking for their England striker. But Saturday night Juventus joined Manchester City in declaring their interest for the player.
The Times, London, reported that Defoe’s intention to leave has provoked a vitriolic response from supporters, and he is much concerned by their ability to obtain his mobile phone number and make threats not only to him, but to his family.
The player made himself unavailable for the FA Cup tie at home to Bristol City Saturday, which ended 0-0, citing a heavy cold. He has told associates that, in view of the fans’ animosity, he cannot envisage playing for the club again.
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- Tottenham close to bagging Crouch in 12 million pound deal - Jul 19, 2009
- Damiao poised for Tottenham move - May 23, 2012
- Tottenham target Defoe in $20 million deal - Dec 29, 2008
- Crouch likely to return to Spurs for 13 million pounds - Jul 27, 2009
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Man U stars showed me how to win, says Defoe - Nov 27, 2010
- Tottenham's Defoe sees mum and family as his toughest critic - Nov 13, 2009
- Tottenham stars can win World Cup for England - May 07, 2010
- Beckham likely to join Tottenham Hotspur on three-month deal - Jan 02, 2011
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- 'Stupid' Crouch leaves Tottenham's Champions League dreams in tatters - Apr 06, 2011
- Spurs skipper feels Defoe's strikes better than Man U's Rooney - Feb 19, 2010
- Tottenham Hotspur sign Crouch, set to let Bent leave - Jul 28, 2009
- Tottenham Hotspur still has chances of signing Beckham: Redknapp - Jan 10, 2011