Defending champion Tania held by Bhakti in national chessDecember 23rd, 2008 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 23 (IANS) Defending champion Tania Sachdev suffered a dent in her defence of the title, as she was held to a draw by last seed Bhakti Kulkarni of Goa in the 35th Parsvnath National Women’s chess Championship here Tuesday.Tania’s draw with white pieces helped Kruttika Nadig of Maharashtra take sole lead once again in the championship with 4.5 points.
In the middle game, Tania had an advantageous position with a pair of bishops on board but could not capitalise on the advantage and was forced into a draw in 51 moves.
Kruttika meanwhile earned a full point against fellow Maharashtra player Amrutha Mokal on the top board.
After an impressive show in the first three rounds of the championship, Chennai based Pon N. Krithika suffered her third straight loss in the tournament at the hands of Soumya Swaminathan in just 29 moves. With four points in her kitty, Soumya is sharing the second spot along with Tania at the half way stage.
In the other sixth round encounter, Women Grand Master Swathi Ghate signed peace treaty against Asian Junior Champion Mary Ann Gomes in 48 moves.
Meanwhile, another Women Grandmaster in the fray Eesha Karavade was held to a draw by Kiran Manisha Mohanty of Orissa and now at third spot with 3.5 points.
Nisha Mohota and Padmini Rout had the same result in the game that lasted 95 moves.
Results of Round VI: Amrutha Mokal (3) lost to Kruttika Nadig (4.5), Nisha Mohota (3) drew with Padmini Rout (2), Mary Ann Gomes (3) drew with Swathi Ghate (2.5), Tania Sachdev (4) drew with Bhakti Kulkarni (2.5), Soumya Swaminathan (4) beat Pon N Krithika (2), Eesha Karavade (3.5) drew with Kiran Manisha Mohanty (2)
Pairings of Round VII: Kiran Manisha Mohanty vs Amrutha Mokal, Pon N Krithika vs Eesha Karavade, Bhakti Kulkarni vs Soumya Swaminathan, Swathi Ghate vs Tania Sachdev, Padmini Rout vs Mary Ann Gomes, Kruttika Nadig vs Nisha Mohota.
- Four share lead in National Premier chess - Oct 30, 2011
- Tania moves into sole lead in women's national chess - Nov 02, 2011
- Tania's national chess title quest suffers a blow - Dec 27, 2008
- Padmini shocks Tania to take lead in women's national chess - Nov 03, 2011
- Amrutha holds Soumya in Parsvnath National Women Chess - Dec 20, 2008
- Tania wins in 38 moves in National Premier chess - Nov 01, 2011
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- Mary Ann takes lead in national chess - Nov 07, 2011
- Kruttika Nadig is women's national chess champion - Dec 28, 2008
- Mary Ann retains lead with a draw in National chess - Nov 08, 2011
- Padmini, Tania in lead at National Chess - Nov 05, 2011
- Kruttika inching close to National Women Chess title - Dec 25, 2008
- India A move closer to Asian Team Chess title - Dec 27, 2009
- Asian Zone champion Kruttika qualifies for World Cup chess - Aug 15, 2009
- Indians win on opening day of Tata steel chess - Dec 22, 2009