Defeats in the warm-up matches, a wake-up call for PakistanJune 5th, 2009 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, June 5 (ANI): Pakistan’s former chief selector Salahuddin Ahmad Sallu has advised the national cricket team to take the back-to-back defeats in the warm-up matches as wake-up calls before entering the challenging environment of the World Twenty20 Championships.
Pakistan lost the second warm-up match to arch-rivals India by nine-wickets on Wednesday night, which was the team’s second loss following the 59-run defeat at the hands of South Africa on Tuesday.
The Dawn quoted Salahuddin as saying that Pakistan should play in the mega event with full potential, as no team could have the luxury of making even small mistakes in this type of cricket.
He urged head coach Intikhab Alam and bowling coach Aaqib Javed to motivate the boys for the mega event.
Salahuddin emphasised that all-rounders will have to play a key role, as Pakistan’s batting did not have much depth. He said there are only two specialist batsmen, Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq, besides the openers in the line-up.
“Our team is full of all-rounders. Therefore, they are mainly responsible and will have to play with full potential to bring laurels for the country,” he said.
Salahuddin also called on experts not to declare young pace bowler Mohammad Aamir as the future Wasim Akram at this early stage.
“Legendary Wasim Akram is one of the greatest bowlers of all time and comparing young Aamir with him is grossly unfair as it will put extra-pressure on the youngster,” he added. (ANI)
- Aaqib Javed defends Pak's World Cup strategy - Mar 19, 2011
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Pak team certainly needs batting coach to overcome their problems: Akram - Apr 12, 2011
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011
- Replace Harbhajan with Mishra: Akram - Jul 27, 2011
- It's "absurd" to blame Afridi for Pak's defeat in first ODI against NZ: Salahuddin Sallu - Jan 27, 2011
- BCCI should rotate players to cut injuries: Akram - Aug 31, 2011
- Akram offers to help Pak pacers Junaid, Wahab during World Cup 2011 - Feb 24, 2011
- Kirsten's exit will a big loss for India: Akram - Jan 25, 2011
- Yousuf to play league cricket in Bangladesh - Dec 25, 2010
- Akram lauds decision to include Pathan in Indian team - Jul 21, 2012
- Kohli, Jadeja under pressure to perform: Akram - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan cricketers starts preparations for upcoming Sri Lanka tour - May 17, 2012
- Akram blames India bowlers for pathetic performance - Aug 14, 2011
Tags: aamir, arch rivals, bowlers, bowling coach, emphasised, extra pressure, head coach, key role, laurels, misbah, national cricket team, nine wickets, pakistan lahore, rounders, sallu, ul haq, wake up calls, wasim akram, youngster, younis khan