Deepika bags silver in World cup archery finalsSeptember 26th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 26 (IANS) India’s Deepika Kumari went down to China’s Cheng Ming 5-6 in a tie-breaker of the women’s individual recurve summit clash at the World Cup archery finals in Istanbul.
The 17-year-old Indian lost the first set but recovered to win the next two to lead 4-2 in set points Sunday. The fourth set went to Cheng. Tied 4-4, the two archers went into the decisive fifth set only to share the set points at 5-5.
The contest now rolled to a one arrow shoot-off in which the Chinese scored a nine as against the Indian’s eight to win a dramatic game, accrding to information received here Monday.
Earlier, Deepika had overcome Berengene Schuh 6-0 to enter the final. She had defeated Alejandra Valencia of Mexico 6-4 in the quarterfinals.
It was a very good start for the Indian and the Chinese archers in the World Cup title race. Each got ten points in the first two arrows. Cheng made the decisive shot with a 9 while her opponent only got an 8. The score was 2-0 for the Chinese.
Cheng started the next set with 10-9 and needed an 8 to win the set and lead 4-0. But she released a very bad shot that scored 6. Deepika was happy to take the two points at stake and tie the match 2-2.
In the third set, the Indian took advantage of a 7 by Cheng to take the lead for the first time in the match, 4-2. The third set was reversed with Deepika shooting a 7 at her first arrow. Cheng won the set and came back 4-4.
The Chinese then opened the final set with a 6, but followed it up with two 10s to just clinch a tie (26-26). The match was thus tied as well at 5-5.
Cheng shot first in the tie-break and scored a good 9 close to the 10-ring. Deepika needed a 10 to win but she could not hold the pressure and finished with an 8.
Berengene took the bronze beating Korean youngster and top seed Jung Dasomi 6-2.
The men’s title went to World No.1 archer, Brady Ellison of the US. He defeated Dia Xiaoxiang of China 6-2 in the final.
- Deepika bags silver in archery World Cup - Sep 25, 2011
- Asian Games archery: Deepika falters to end 4th, Yun Ok Hee takes gold (Intro roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- India win gold in Asian Grand Prix archery - Feb 18, 2012
- Little known Iranian shocks Talukdar in Archery World Cup - Jun 09, 2011
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympic archery: Bombayala bows out of individual event - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: End of road for Indian men (Archery Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics archery: South Korea's Oh shoots gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Talukdar earns India one Olympic place in archery - Jul 09, 2011
- Archer Tarundeep Rai to vie for World Cup bronze - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympics archery: Rahul, Jayanta, Swuro bow out (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic archery: Banerjee shoots a rare win for India (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 10s, 17 year old, archer, archers, archery, cheng ming, deepika, dramatic game, ellison, first arrow, kumari, match 2, match 4, quarterfinals, summit clash, take the lead, tie break, tie breaker, world cup title, youngster