Decision to stay at AC Milan saves Beckhams World Cup dreamMarch 22nd, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 22 (ANI): The decision by David Beckham to stay at AC Milan may have cost him a cool two million pounds, but has saved his World Cup dream.
England boss Fabio Capello has confirmed Beckham would have been axed from his squad if he had returned to LA Galaxy this month.
Instead, Beckham sacrificed two million pounds of his personal fortune to help broker an extended loan spell with Milan and so is in line to pick up his 109th and 110th caps for his country in the clashes with Slovakia and Ukraine at Wembley, The Sun reports.
Capello revealed: At this moment its important for him to play in Europe. America is not the same level as Europe.
Beckham would have switched top-level Serie A football for pre-season training with Galaxy, further eroding his hopes of making it to South Africa 2010.
Capello added: You know my decision always I put in the squad the players that play. And thats the reason why Beckham will be in the squad. I have watched on TV the last few games that David has played and he played very well. So I am happy, though it was not my decision. I was not involved. Its a decision by Beckham and between LA and Milan.
How Capello uses Beckham, though, is a different matter with Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright-Phillips competing for the wide right role. (ANI)
- Beckham proves his worth, to be a key member of the World Cup squad - Jun 07, 2009
- Walcott taking tips from David Beckham - May 28, 2010
- Not obeying Capello's orders cost Walcott a place in WC squad - Jun 02, 2010
- Beckham fears Capelo will axe him from England World Cup squad - Sep 08, 2009
- Capello looks for right World Cup mix for England (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- Britain's Olympic coach Pearce to assess Beckham in US - Apr 25, 2012
- Victoria Beckham's baby bump is now visible - Apr 14, 2011
- Curtains almost down on Beckham's international career - Oct 15, 2010
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Walcott says 'fantastic' Beckham is the perfect football professional - Aug 13, 2010
- Beckham left out of Britain's Olympic squad - Jun 28, 2012
- England name squads for two remaining World Cup qualifiers - Oct 05, 2009
- Omitting Walcott out of England 2010 World Cup squad a mistake: Capello - Jan 28, 2011
- Beckham to help 'dumped' Walcott deal with despair - Jun 04, 2010
- Beckham's chances of going to World Cup is increasing - Apr 03, 2009
Tags: aaron lennon, ac milan, boss, caps, clashes, david beckham, europe, fabio capello, galaxy, personal fortune, pre season training, shaun wright phillips, slovakia, south africa 2010, sun reports, theo walcott, two million, ukraine, wembley, world cup dream