Deccan Chargers reach Hyderabad to a rousing welcomeMay 28th, 2009 - 12:57 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 27 (IANS) Deccan Chargers, the winners of the second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in South Africa, arrived here Wednesday night to a rousing welcome from fans.
The fans were, however, disappointed a bit as only three players - Tirumalsetti Suman, Harmeet Singh and Shoaib Ahmed - arrived at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport.
The crowd was hoping to catch a glimpse of captain Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Symonds, Herschelle Gibbs, R.P. Singh and Rohit Sharma, who played key roles in the team’s victory.
Holding the IPL trophy and the winner’s cheque, the three players came out of the airport building amid utter chaos.
The team management said the foreign players went back to their respective countries while R.P. Singh, Rohit Sharma and others headed for Mumbai to join the Indian team for next month’s Twenty20 World Cup.
Talking to reporters at the airport, Suman said the team played good cricket. “The final was amazing. It was a close match and we enjoyed a lot,” said the Hyderabadi batsman.
“We had not set any target. We were taking it game by game,” said Ahmed, another local player. He said playing under Gilchrist and with the likes of Symonds and Gibbs had helped them a lot in improving their skills.
The three members of the victorious team stood on a special vehicle with the trophy as they reached a hotel.
- Deccan Chargers humble Sehwag-led Delhi Daredevils with a 10-run victory - Mar 21, 2010
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Royal Challengers - Apr 13, 2010
- IPL: Lucky Super Kings take on upbeat Mumbai Indians Wednesday - May 23, 2012
- Rohit's innings took away the match from us: Gambhir - May 12, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - May 25, 2009
- IPL scoreboard: Delhi Daredevils vs. Deccan Chargers - Mar 21, 2010
- Deccan Chargers wear the IPL crown (Roundup) - May 25, 2009
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Mumbai Indians - May 07, 2009
- Scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs. Kings XI Punjab, IPL - Mar 20, 2010
- Deccan Chargers beat CSK by six wickets - Apr 10, 2010
- IPL scoreboard: Deccan Chargers vs Rajasthan Royals - Mar 27, 2010
- IPL scoreboard: Royal Challengers vs Deccan Chargers - Apr 09, 2010
- IPL scoreboard: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Deccan Charger - May 17, 2009
- IPL scoreboard: Chennai Super Kings vs Deccan Chargers - May 05, 2009
- Kings XI win a thriller to stay afloat in IPL (Lead) - May 17, 2009
Tags: adam gilchrist, ahmed, Andrew Symonds, captain adam, close match, harmeet, herschelle gibbs, hyderabadi, ipl, premier league, r p singh, rajiv gandhi international airport, rohit sharma, rousing welcome, shoaib, target, team management, twenty20 world cup, utter chaos, victorious team