Debt-ridden Latvians use Internet to convince billionaire Abramovich to buy LatviaDecember 31st, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec.31 (ANI): Russo-Latvian billionaire and owner of the Chelsea Football Club, Roman Abramovich has been told that he would need to fork out 7.2 billion pounds to buy his hard-up country Latvia.
The Daily Express quoted insiders as saying that Abramovich, who is said to be worth up to 23 billion pounds, could be tempted to splash out.
Debt-laden Latvians have set up an Internet campaign to urge Abramovich, 42, to take control to save them from financial disaster.
Their tongue-in-cheek message says: The population is hard working and pleasant, the country is environmentally clean and there is plenty of space to dock your yacht.
The failing Baltic country, which has 2.2million people, is among the hardest hit by the global money meltdown.
Some feel Abramovich, who made his fortune trading oil from neighbouring Russia, is one of the few locals with the cash to come to the rescue. He was not available to comment last night. (ANI)
- World's largest yacht is 590 feet long - Jun 13, 2012
- Roman Abramovich unable to dock his 'Eclipse' yacht as it is too big - Aug 25, 2011
- Chelsea owner Abramovich's wealth declaration reveals his billions from business - Feb 17, 2011
- Mittal tops Abramovich in worlds top 20 rich list - Jan 07, 2009
- Putin asks Abramovich to 'open his wallet' to help fund 2018 World Cup - Dec 05, 2010
- Chelseas billonaire owner Abramovich to buy 60 million pound Caribbean estate - Mar 13, 2009
- Roman Abramovich buys island for $400 million to showcase his art collection - Dec 08, 2010
- Ilves to be sworn in as Estonia's president - Oct 10, 2011
- Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher go jet skiing on New Year's Eve - Jan 02, 2011
- 1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheats - Apr 04, 2012
- Lakshmi Mittal stays at top of UK's rich list, Anil Agarwal at 10th - Apr 25, 2010
- New Zealand PM hopeful of FTA with India by 2012 (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Sanjay Mishra's 'Pranam Walekum' to release in April - Dec 27, 2011
- Liz Hurley criticised for bikini wax ad - Feb 08, 2011
- Latvian President dissolves parliament - May 29, 2011
Tags: baltic country, billionaire, chelsea football club, daily express, financial disaster, fortune trading, global money, insiders, internet campaign, locals, london, money meltdown, neighbouring, population, roman abramovich, russia, tongue in cheek, yacht