Dean Jones says Haddin not Clarke should lead Aussies in Sydney TestDecember 30th, 2010 - 2:05 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 30(ANI): Former Australian batsman Dean Jones has said that wicketkeeper Brad Haddin and not vice-captain Michael Clarke should lead Australia in the fifth Ashes Test in Sydney.
Ricky Ponting has been ruled out of the match after x-rays on his broken little finger showed that the fracture had moved during this week’s fourth Test loss at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Jones reckons that Clarke is in such poor form that he could not be appointed captain, and all-rounder Shane Watson was too pre-occupied with his own preparation to add more responsibility.
“I don’t think Clarke is ready, he is not in good form. We have always picked the best team then picked the captain from that, and that is how it should be done. Let’s not pick the captain first and blokes around them,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Jones, as saying.
“Shane Watson is too wound up in his own preparation being an all-rounder to take on captaincy as well. I would give it to Haddin for the short term for this one-off Test - that has happened before,” he added.
Haddin has captained New South Wales and also led Australia in two Twenty20 matches.
Clarke has scored just 148 runs in the ongoing series at an average of 21.14 - a far cry from last year’s Ashes where he was Australia’s leading scorer with 448 at an average of 64.
Australia currently trails the five-match series 2-1, with the final Test to be played in Sydney from January 2. (ANI)
- Australia '100 per cent behind' stand-in captain Clarke: Haddin - Dec 31, 2010
- Merv Hughes backs Clarke's appointment as stand-in captain for Sydney Test - Dec 31, 2010
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Watson may be second man after Ponting to win back-to-back Allan Border Medals - Feb 04, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Clarke hopes Watson gets fit by third ODI - Oct 25, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Khawaja, Beer to make debuts in Sydney Ashes Test - Jan 02, 2011
- Clarke needs to be tougher batsman to win over Oz fans: Dean Jones - Jan 01, 2011
- Australia opts for blend of youth and experience for daunting India Test series - Sep 02, 2010
- Clarke's form may force CA to look at options for Ponting's successor: Sutherland - Dec 28, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Oz cricket captain uncertainty reflects Test preparation woes - Jan 11, 2011
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: batsman, blokes, captain michael, dean jones, far cry, fifth ashes test, final test, fracture, little finger, melbourne cricket ground, michael clarke, morning herald, new south wales, ricky ponting, rounder, shane watson, sydney morning herald, twenty20, vice captain, x rays