Day/night Tests played in Australia or India set to be reality soon: MorganMay 19th, 2010 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, May 19 (ANI): The longest version of cricket, which is facing a dearth of spectators, is all set to attract viewers in large numbers very soon with day/night Tests being played in either Australia or India.
Ever since floodlit fixtures came up in Australia more than 30 years ago as part of the rebel World Series Cricket, there have been suggestions that day/night Tests could draw in spectators who are at work during normal playing hours.
David Morgan, the president of the International Cricket Council (ICC), speaking ahead of an ICC meeting at Lord’s this week, insisted day/night Tests were on the horizon, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“I talked to administrators in Australia whom I expected to be so conservative as to be against day/night Test cricket but they are very much for it and I believe it won’t be too long before we see day/night Test cricket in Australia or India,” he said.
Although the ICC has introduced a Test table, its complex rating system has so far failed to excite much interest.
“Our chief executives’ committee has been looking at producing a context for both ODI cricket and Test match cricket so watch this space,” said Morgan.
“Enriching ODIs and Tests are two major opportunities, and I have little or no doubt the game will embrace those fairly quickly,” he said.
Morgan added the biggest regret of his tenure, as president, which expires within weeks, was Pakistan becoming a no-go area for international cricket following the armed attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore last year. (ANI)
- ICC to discuss ODI format at annual meeting - May 19, 2010
- ICC to discuss ODI format in its annual meeting - May 19, 2010
- Day-night test matches on cards: ICC - Jan 18, 2011
- Cricket Australia to trial pink ball to bring day-night Test cricket closer to reality - Jan 25, 2010
- PCB backs day-night Test matches - May 11, 2011
- Sheffield Shield to be played under twilight - Aug 17, 2011
- India face South Africa in ICC Champions Trophy opener - Aug 21, 2012
- Test cricket deserves to be protected: Dravid - Dec 14, 2011
- Pink, orange balls likely choice for day-night Tests - Apr 20, 2011
- ICC annual meet may be stormy over UDRS, World Cup format - Jun 24, 2011
- Proposed plan for day-night Test cricket a waste of time: Rodney Hogg - Jan 26, 2010
- Day and night Tests not in near future: ICC - Mar 31, 2010
- ICC should preserve Test cricket, says Wasim Akram - Jul 27, 2009
- Australia may host day-night Tests from 2011 - Nov 29, 2009
- Indian cricket has reached the pinnacle: ICC chief - Dec 16, 2009
Tags: chief executives, david morgan, dearth, international cricket council, large numbers, morning herald, night test, night tests, no doubt, odi cricket, odis, spectators, sydney morning herald, team bus, tenure, test cricket, test match cricket, test table, world series, world series cricket