Davydenko pulls out of Australian OpenJanuary 8th, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 8 (DPA) The Australian Open tennis tournament has lost injured world No.5 five Nikolay Davydenko as the Russian withdrew due to a nagging heel injury.The opening Grand Slam of the season suffered its first high-profile defection through the pullout. Also on the possible danger list are Maria Sharapova and world No.2 Serena Williams.
Neither have played for months - Sharapova has missed six months - but both insist they will be ready for the major, which begins in 11 days.
Davydenko pulled out of this week’s ATP event in Chennai, India, saying he needs time for his foot to properly heal.
“I’m pulling out because my left heel has been very painful over the last few days,” he said. “I need to see doctors before I know when I can return.”
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- China Open: Foot injury forces Azarenka to concede pre-quarterfinal - Oct 06, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- Sharapova and Serena pull out of China Open - Sep 30, 2011
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Zvonareva confirmed for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer is scared of me, claims Davydenko - Jan 27, 2010
- Highlights of day two at Australian Open - Jan 17, 2012