Davydenko heads Chennai Open fieldDecember 1st, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 1 (IANS) World No. 5 Nikolay Davydenko of Russia will head a strong field in the $450,000 ATP Chennai Open Tennis tournament to be held here from Jan 5-11.Davydenko who ended the year on a high, reaching the finals of the Masters in Shanghai, is joined by World No. 13 Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland, who won the 2008 Beijing Olympics Gold medal in doubles partnering Roger Federer.
Also in the draw are: World No. 23 Marin Cilic (Croatia), Ivo Karlovic (Croatia, No.26), Wimbledon semi-finalist Rainer Schuettler (Germany, No.33), former Chennai Open champion Carlos Moya (Spain, No.42), and Ivan Ljubicic (Croatia, No.44) who incidentally stopped Moya from winning a hat-trick of titles in 2006.
Other well-known players include Janko Tipsarevic ( Serbia, No. 49), Marcel Granollers (Spain, No. 56), Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (Spain, No.62) Fabio Fognini (Italy, No. 88) and Ivo Minar (Croatia, No. 97).
The Chennai Open will also see the return of Davis Cuppers Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes who will be playing with their respective partners Mark Knowles (Bahamas) and Lukas Dlouhy (Czech Republic).
Giving them tough competition will be the Bryan bothers - Mike and Bob - who until recently were ranked as the World No. 1 doubles pair.
India’s top two ranked players Somdev Devvarman (201) and Prakash Amritraj (203) have been given the wildcards as also Dlouhy (Czech Republic, 195).
- 2010 Chennai Open promises high-octave action - Jan 02, 2011
- Argentina book place in Davis Cup semifinals - Apr 09, 2012
- Del Potro takes Nadal's spot in Wimbledon men's draw - Jun 20, 2009
- Somdev Devvarman storms into semi-finals of Chennai Open - Jan 09, 2009
- Somdev shocks Moya to enter Chennai Open quarters - Jan 08, 2009
- Strong field for Chennai Open - Nov 24, 2011
- Rusty Davydenko to open for Russia; Spain without Nadal - Jul 08, 2010
- Title favourite Soderling will not have it easy - Jan 03, 2010
- Somdev hopeful of strong result in Chennai Open - Dec 30, 2010
- 17th Chennai Open to see close games - Jan 01, 2012
- Injured Cilic drops out of Chennai Open - Dec 13, 2011
- Nadal out as Davis Cup champion Spain faces France - Jul 06, 2010
- Third seed Cilic in Chennai Open semis - Jan 09, 2009
- Devvarman plays Schuettler, Bopanna meets Wawrinka - Jan 02, 2010
- Argentina draws 1-1 with Croatia in Davis Cup - Apr 07, 2012