Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 leadSeptember 14th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 14 (IANS) Yuki Bhambri fought back from two sets down to give India a 1-0 lead against New Zealand on the opening day of the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group I play-off here Friday.
Bhambri won 3-6, 0-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 against Daniel King-Turner at the Chandigarh Lawn Tennis Association (CLTA) stadium after rain delayed the start of the first singles.
After losing the first two sets easily, the 20-year-old turned the tables on his opponent.
In the decider, India got a break early and were 4-2 up when Bhambri broke his more experienced opponent again.
While serving for victory, the Delhi boy finished off the match with a cross-court forehand.
Later in the day, the 25-year-old Vishnu Vardhan will face Jose Statham, who is ranked 317 in the world, in the second singles match of the day.
This was Bhambri’s third win out of four Davis Cup appearances.
- Davis Cup: Bhambri plays King-Turner, Vardhan vs. Statham - Sep 13, 2012
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- India beat New Zealand in junior Davis Cup - Apr 22, 2011
- Bhambri upsets Istomin in dead rubber - Apr 08, 2012
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 3-0 lead against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Junior Davis Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0 - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: asia oceania, clta, cross court, cup asia, daniel king, davis cup, decider, India, lawn tennis association, match, new zealand, opening day, opponent, rain, victory, vishnu vardhan, yuki bhambri