David Hussey wants quarterfinal stage for next Champions LeagueSeptember 26th, 2010 - 3:27 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Sep 26 (ANI): Victorian cricket captain David Hussey has asked Champions League organisers to look at introducing a quarter-final stage next year in order to make the Twenty20 tournament more attractive.
Australian T20 champions Victoria were eliminated from the 10-team tournament in South Africa despite winning more games than one of the qualifiers from the other group.
The Bushrangers won three of their four games to finish level on points with Chennai Super Kings and South Africa’s Warriors, but were eliminated, as their run rate was inferior to the other two teams.
Royal Challengers Bangalore qualified from the other group with just two wins, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The format for this year’s lucrative tournament was different to the inaugural competition last year, which had two more teams.
In 2009, the 12 participants were split into four groups of three, with the top two teams in each group advancing to a league stage.
With no English representatives this year because the County season was still going, organisers scrapped the league phase and went directly to semi-finals.
“I know the English boys were disappointed not to come over and be part of the Champions League, hopefully they get back into the competition next year and we can have maybe quarter-finalists, semi-finalists and finalists, that would be brilliant,” Hussey told AAP.
He nominated several positives Victoria could extract from the tournament, including the emergence of batsman Aaron Finch and pace bowler James Pattinson as potential Australian representatives. (ANI)
- Its country over brotherly love for David Hussey when it comes to T20 CL title - Sep 25, 2010
- Hewitt gets wildcard for Wimbledon - Jun 13, 2012
- Ranji Trophy format tweaked a second time in 10 years - Jul 16, 2012
- Hussey to captain Bushrangers after White's RCB move - Aug 11, 2010
- Mumbai Indians to play in CLT20 opener - Jun 29, 2010
- Euro 2012 Group A Preview: No big names, evenly-matched - Jun 05, 2012
- Ghana names Maxwell Konadu as assistant coach - May 04, 2012
- Australian team is shadow of 2006 (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Is Hayden planning a comeback in Big Bash? - Jul 02, 2011
- Latif's lucrative Karachi Champions League offers winners 10 mln rupees as prize money - Feb 03, 2010
- List of South Africa's bizarre losses in World Cup - Mar 26, 2011
- Olympic hockey: India looking for consolation win (Preview) - Aug 10, 2012
- Aisam-ul-Haq reaches career-best ATP ranking of 12 - Apr 05, 2011
- Champions League T20 scheduled from Sep 23 - Jun 30, 2011
- India slip to third place in ODI Championship - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: australian representatives, batsman, bushrangers, captain david, challengers, champions league, cricket captain, david hussey, english boys, finch, four games, inaugural competition, james pattinson, league phase, league stage, morning herald, quarter finalists, semi finalists, semi finals, sydney morning herald