Daredevils’ decision to bench McGrath was surprising: WaughJune 19th, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) Former Australian captain Steve Waugh Friday said he was “amazed” that Delhi Daredevils did not play the experienced Glenn McGrath for a single match in the Indian Premier League (IPL) this season.
McGrath, who has a three-year contract with Delhi Daredevils, warmed the bench throughout the IPL, fuelling rumours of his leaving the Twenty20 league, which the Australian later denied.
Waugh, under whom Australia turned into a dominant force in world cricket, said had he been the captain he would have surely picked McGrath.
“I am amazed that McGrath was not played in the IPL. It is something which only captain Sehwag can answer. Had I been the captain, I would have surely played McGrath. When has McGrath bowled bad? He has not even bowled bad to his son,” Waugh said at the launch of Steve Waugh Foundation Global and its association with 6UP, the SMS-based mobile gaming.
- Series against India will be highly competitive: Warner - Dec 13, 2011
- McGrath replaces injured Vettori in Champions League squad - Oct 06, 2009
- McGrath ready to mentor Australian fast bowlers - Dec 18, 2011
- McGrath backs Ponting to lead Australia to an Ashes victory - Nov 07, 2010
- Ishant has shades of Glenn McGrath, says Waugh - Oct 09, 2009
- McGrath warns India against Australian quicks; backs Ponting - Dec 20, 2011
- McGrath denies remarks on IPL return - May 23, 2009
- Ponting to sue Indian software firm - Jan 26, 2012
- Fiery pacer Brett Lee retires from international cricket - Jul 13, 2012
- Australia will whitewash India, says McGrath - Jan 02, 2012
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- Foreign players also benefit from IPL: Sekar - Mar 25, 2012
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
- Daredevils elect to field against Royal Challengers - Apr 07, 2012
- Australia will bounce back and win Ashes, says McGrath - Nov 07, 2010