Dara Torres - Still a swimming champion at 41April 8th, 2009 - 11:15 pm ICT by GD
It is simply amazing how the most unexpected contender of the game takes away the trophy. The case is quite similar to that of Dara Torres who at the age of 41 has made a terrific comeback in the world of swimming.
Dara made her comeback in the sports which she had ruled for almost over three decades. Around 25 years ago Torres made her presence felt in the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Games, where she had won a gold medal in the 4×100m freestyle.
At that point of time she was just 17 years old and had much fire in her to continue with her excellent winning streaks. She fitted perfectly into the mould of a swimming champion. Other than the Olympics held in 1996 and 2004, Torres had won successive games at the Olympics and made it a point to hone with at least one gold medal. At the Sydney Games in 2000, inspite of being the oldest competitor in the American swimming squad, she won five medals - three bronze and two gold, both individual and relay.
Way back then Dara was 33 years of age. In all the games what remained constant was her confidence as an Olympic champion. For this reason she was even able to overcome the glaring age difference between her and the other team members. Her spirit can truly be saluted since she voluntarily agreed to undergo drug screening program to allay any fears or accusations of performance-enhancing drugs.
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Japanese women grapplers sweep two golds (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Swimmer Ann Curtis dies - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Delhi's Richa Mishra wins four golds in swimming (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Olympics: US breaks women's 4x100m relay world record (World Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: 17 years, 33 years, accusations, competitor, dara torres, drug screening, freestyle, gold medal, inspite, medals, olympic champion, olympics, performance enhancing drugs, screening program, summer games, sydney games, team members, three decades, unexpected contender, winning streaks