Dance rehearsals have made me fitter: Mohinder AmarnathMarch 14th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) Dancing for Mohinder Amarnath was always just shaking a leg at a party, but the former cricketer-commentator says dance reality show “Jhalak Dikhla Ja” has not only perfected his moves but also made him a fitter person, thanks to the rigorous rehearsals.
“Dancing has had a great impact on my health. I’m a fitter person now. I used to walk and jog before, but now I have rehearsals for three-four… sometimes six hours a day. This has made me lose weight. It is a complete exercise,” Amarnath, who is the seniormost among the contestants, told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
Cricket has been his life, whether it was playing on field, being a commentator or an analyst. So what made him put on the dancing shoes at the age of 58?
“There was definitely some doubt in my mind when ‘Jhalak…’ was offered to me, but then I thought this is something I have never done in my life; so why not give it a shot?” Amarnath said.
Cricket required continuous practice, but he admits that taking dance lessons was a bigger challenge.
“Cricket is something I have played all my life. I have experience in that field and I know everything about it. But I have no experience in dance and it is something completely new for me. Dancing is definitely a bigger challenge for me,” said Amarnath, who danced to the peppy “Jee Karda” from “Singh is Kinng” in his first round.
“Dancing for me was only shaking one’s hands and legs at a party. But ‘Jhalak…’ has taught me that it is much more than that. It’s not easy at all - a lot of hard work. But even though it’s challenging, I have always believed that nothing is impossible in this world. That is why I plunged into doing something like this,” he added.
The veteran cricketer says that age is the last thing on his mind when he goes to dance. He stressed that he just wants to give 100 percent on the show that brings together celebrities from different walks of life such as sports, films, fashion and music to perform with professional dance partners.
Amarnath is all praise for his choreographer and dance partner Lilian.
“Lilian is a sweetheart and great at her work. She is brilliant, graceful and extremely patient. I make so many mistakes and take time to pick up the steps but she never loses her cool.”
So who is his favourite contestant and judge?
“All are good dancers especially the girls. But I am very fond of (singer) Hard Kaur. She is a wonderful person and a great dancer.
“As far as the judges are concerned, all the three ladies (choreographers Saroj Khan, Vaibhavi Merchant and actress Juhi Chawla) are extremely good and I respect them. However, it will be better for me if I don’t pick one,” he laughed.
- 'Jhalak...' not a cake walk for Isha - Jun 29, 2012
- After 'Jhalak...', Sushil Kumar says no to dance - Aug 05, 2012
- My legs move on pitch, not dance floor: Sanath Jayasuriya (Interview) - Jun 15, 2012
- Nobody can replace Salman in my heart: choreographer Salman - Jul 15, 2012
- I pray, I don't get offers like 'Jhalak...': Sushil Kumar (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- Hard for singers to sell individual work: Neha Bhasin - Jul 28, 2012
- It was an amazing experience: Sanath Jayasuriya - Jul 14, 2012
- Dance about energy, passion: Karan Johar - Jun 08, 2012
- I've maintained myself well: Talat Aziz - Jun 25, 2012
- I prefer hosting reality shows: Jay Soni - Jul 27, 2012
- Tough to promote Indian dance: Remo D'Souza - Jun 24, 2012
- Dance fever catches on among Indians, thanks to TV - Feb 01, 2011
- Debina my lady luck: Gurmeet Chowdhary (TV Snippets) - Jul 16, 2012
- Bollywood choreographers and their weighty issues (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian TV projects unhappy lives: Karan Johar (Interview) - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: celebrities, commentator, continuous practice, cricket, cricketer, dance lessons, dance rehearsals, dancing shoes, doubt in my mind, exercise, Health Science, legs, mohinder amarnath, New Delhi, reality show, six hours, sports films, walks of life