Dalmiya goes one up on rivalJuly 27th, 2008 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 26 (IANS) Jagmohan Dalmiya’s dissident group Saturday got a slight advantage ahead of the July 29 Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) elections with a vice presidential candidate of the ruling group barred from attending the association’s annual general meeting (AGM). The court appointed observer, retired judge Santosh Kumar Fouzdar, struck off Malda District Sports Association (MDSA) nominee Subhasish Sarkar’s name from the rolls after it was found that his papers were not signed by the association’s president.
Sarkar contested this, saying the MDSA vice president had authorised him to attend the AGM, but Fouzdar ruled this was against the rules.
The Dalmiya group also demanded that the nomination of Indranath Dey, another vice presidential candidate from the ruling group, be cancelled as his club, Howrah Union, had links with the ZEE-promoted Indian Cricket League (ICL) - a rival of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)-sponsored Indian Premier League (IPL).
However, Dey successfully contended his club had inked a five-year sponsorship agreement not with the ICL, but with Mithun Chakraborty’s Royal Bengal Tigers, and that too, for soccer.
The total number of affiliates now eligible to vote in the elections is 119.
Dalmiya is engaged in a battle royale with incumbent Prasun Mukjerjee for the president’s post.
- Dalmiya all set to continue unchallenged as CAB chief - Jul 27, 2010
- Mithun's soccer association triggers war in CAB - Jul 24, 2008
- Mithun's soccer foray becomes cricket body poll issue - Jul 24, 2008
- Dalmiya has a challenger in Samar Pal for top CAB post - Jul 21, 2012
- Dalmiya set to retain CAB president's post - Jul 24, 2009
- Dalmiya unlikely to face opposition in CAB presidential race - Jul 11, 2009
- Dalmiya re-elected CAB president - Jul 28, 2012
- Sourav to debut in cricket administration, Dalmiya will be uncontested - Jul 30, 2009
- Loyalists desert cricket czar Dalmiya, opposition seeks challenger - Jul 08, 2009
- Sunil Gavaskar not part of new IPL Governing Council - Sep 29, 2010
- Ganguly to begin innings in cricket administration at CAB AGM - Jul 22, 2009
- Ganguly questions key decisions of Dalmiya at CAB AGM - Aug 01, 2009
- Modi reveals how BCCI scuttled ICL - Jun 20, 2011
- Dalmiya extends 'hand of friendship' to Indian cricket board - Jul 30, 2008
- Court appoints observer for CAB polls - Jul 24, 2008
Tags: annual general meeting, battle royale, cricket association of bengal, cricket league, dey, dissident group, district sports, howrah, india bcci, indian cricket, jagmohan dalmiya, malda district, mithun chakraborty, premier league, presidential candidate, royal bengal tigers, santosh kumar, sponsorship agreement, sports association, zee