Daley, Mohammed star in West Indies eves’ winApril 26th, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), April 26 (IANS/CMC) Off-spinner Anisa Mohammed undermined the Sri Lanka batting with a five-wicket haul to spur West Indies women to a resounding 88-run win over Sri Lanka in the first One-Day International here.
After solid half-centuries from the trio of Shanel Daley, skipper Merissa Aguilleira and Stafanie Taylor lifted the West Indies to 228 for six off the allotted 50 overs on an easy-paced Kensington Oval pitch, Mohammed grabbed five for 34 off 9.2 overs as the Sri Lankans were dismissed for 140 in 42.3 overs Wednesday.
Vice-captain Taylor, who holds the top spot in the Reliance ICC Women’s ODI Rankings for batters, set the stage with a knock of 53 before she was second out with the score 93 in the 25th over after the West Indies won the toss. She faced 97 balls and hit five boundaries.
Taylor’s Jamaican compatriot Daley and Trinidadian Aguilleira then featured in a fourth-wicket partnership of 52 in 11.2 overs after the usually attacking Barbadian Deandra Dottin fell for 14.
Left-handed Daley, daughter of the former Jamaica all-rounder Aaron Daley, top-scored with 63 off 97 balls and Aguilleira made 62.
Maduri Sammudika took two for 39 and Chamani Seneviratne 2-40.
Sri Lanka were under early pressure at 28 for three by the end of the tenth over and despite a recovery by skipper Dilani Manodara, who topscored with 37 and Shashikala Siriwardena (34), who put on 67 in 18.1 overs for the fourth wicket, a collapse set in once they were parted. The last seven wickets tumbled for 45 runs in 14.2 overs.
West Indies 228 for six in 50 overs (Shanel Daley 63, Merissa Aguilleira 62, Stafanie Taylor 53, Maduri Sammudika 2/39, Chamani Seneviratne 2-40) Sri Lanka 140 in 42.3 overs (Dilani Manodara 37, Shashikala Siriwardena 34; Anisa Mohammed 5 /34)
- Sri Lankan women win second ODI - Apr 28, 2012
- Daley shines again as West Indies win T20 opener - May 02, 2012
- Daley's all-round effort lifts Windies to series win - Apr 30, 2012
- Outstanding Taylor fires Windies to second straight win - May 03, 2012
- Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series win - May 07, 2012
- Tame batting sends Windies women to three-wicket loss - Sep 02, 2011
- West Indies qualify for ICC Women's World cup - Nov 21, 2011
- Top performers named in provisional squads for ICC Womens World Cup 2009 - Jan 13, 2009
- Indian women beat Pakistan, to face Sri Lanka for place in semis - May 09, 2010
- Kohli gets two nominations for ICC Awards - Aug 13, 2012
- Harmeet shines in U-19 World Cup warm-ups - Aug 08, 2012
- India bowled out for 138 in second ODI - Jul 24, 2012
- Australia edge Sri Lanka by five runs - Feb 10, 2012
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Sri Lanka beat Afghanistan, win Plate Championship - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: anisa, batters, bridgetown barbados, captain taylor, cmc, collapse, compatriot, maduri, mohammed 5, odi, rounder, seven wickets, shashikala, spinner, sri lankans, trinidadian, vice captain, west indies, wicket haul, wicket partnership