Czech official receives Olympic OrderMay 27th, 2009 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Prague, May 27 (Xinhua) Milan Jirasek, chairman of the Czech Olympic Committee (COC), received the Olympic Order, the highest individual decoration, from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on the 110th anniversary of its foundation.
The Olympic Order, a chain with Olympic circles flanked with an olive branch, has been awarded since 1974 for distinguished contribution to sports and the Olympic movement.
Jirasek received it from Patrick Hickey, President of European Olympic Committees, the Czech news agency CTK said.
Jirasek has been in office since 1996. He is also a member of the board of the Association of Skiers of the Czech Republic and the International Ski Federation (FIS).
The Pierre de Coubertin medal was given to Emanuel Bosak, a long- standing COV official and former chairman, the Czech news agency CTK said.
The Tibi Gratis (Thank You) medal was awarded to Olympic winners Dana Zatopkova (javelin), Jiri Raska (ski jumping), Jan Zelezny (javelin), Martin Doktor (canoeing), Roman Sebrle (decathlon), Vera Caslavska (gymnastics), Katerina Neumannova (cross-country skiing), Stepanka Hilgertova (kayaking) and Katerina Emmons (shooting).
- Ski Halfpipe to be part of 2014 Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Olympic javelin: Spotakova wins gold, retains title - Aug 10, 2012
- Exhibition at Royal Opera House telling stories behind the Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Seven Pak athletes get two-year ban for failing dope test - Aug 23, 2010
- No London berth for Olympic decathlon champion Clay - Jun 24, 2012
- Steve Redgrave is public's choice to light Olympic cauldron - Jul 22, 2012
- Former ace athelete Suresh Babu dies in Ranchi - Feb 19, 2011
- Medals don't determine honour or dishonour: China Daily - Aug 02, 2012
- IOC chief says no worries as Vancouver readies for winter Olympics - Feb 09, 2010
- Pilot dies in Czech plane crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Snow, rain - and pain for Vonn - as Games get ready - Feb 11, 2010
- Trinidad declares public holiday to celebrate Olympians - Aug 13, 2012
- Javelin champion feted with millions of dollars gifts - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Antyukh storms to 400m hurdles gold - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: cross country skiing, czech news agency, emmons, international olympic committee, international ski federation, jan zelezny, javelin, martin doktor, milan jirasek, olympic circles, olympic movement, olympic winners, patrick hickey, pierre de coubertin, pierre de coubertin medal, raska, roman sebrle decathlon, ski jumping, tibi, vera caslavska