Cycle rally in Delhi to promote the zero-pollution vehiclesJanuary 18th, 2009 - 8:41 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.18 (ANI): A bicycle rally to promote the eco-friendly vehicle was organised in New Delhi, one of the most polluted capitals in the world, on Sunday. The 20-km-long rally was organised by the Delhi Cycling Club and a non-government organisation, IDP India. The rally was flagged off at the historical Humayun’’s tomb and concluded at the same venue after circuiting the city. Naren Singh, an organiser, urged people to use the eco-friendly cycle to make Delhi a less-polluted city.
“The main purpose of the rally is to promote cycle riding. Cycle riding does not cause pollution and is good for health. It is important to encourage more people to cycle in our city,” said Singh, a member of the Delhi Cycling Club.
A number of women, children and senior citizens took part in the rally with immense zeal and enthusiasm.
The rally also aimed to popularise a cycle track along a transport corridor, meant to decongest the city.
“We are doing it against the pollution. Another important thing is we want to promote the route that we are riding i.e. BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) route. The cycling track is made beautifully, so people should use the route,” said Ashata, a participant.
Delhi is one of the most polluted cities in the world thanks to growing number of vehicles.(ANI)
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- Bicycle ride creates climate awareness in New Delhi - Dec 05, 2010
- Chandy rides bicycle to launch IT Park's green initiative - Dec 06, 2011
- Vodafone launches eco-friendly rickshaw ahead of Games - Aug 10, 2010
- Eco-friendly vehicles rally held in Delhi - Nov 22, 2009
- Nepali students aim to make Kathmandu 'bicycle-friendly' by 2020 - Jun 29, 2010
- Green lifestyle statement: Bangalore kids cycle to school - Nov 21, 2009
- Cycle rickshaw pullers demand more road space - Mar 29, 2010
- Hyderabad gets first bicycle track for public - Mar 18, 2012
- Cycle rickshaw pullers plan rally - Mar 27, 2010
- Will move apex court over bus corridor: Dikshit - Jul 17, 2012
- Pedalling 1,000 km to popularise cycling - Dec 14, 2010
- Hundreds cycle for a pollution free environment in Pune - Feb 15, 2009
- Delhi government to study bus corridor report by July 23 (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- 'Conduct fresh study on bus corridor' - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: bicycle rally, brt, bus rapid transit, capitals, cycling club, cycling track, government organisation, humayun, naren singh, New Delhi, participant, polluted cities, polluted city, senior citizens, transit route, transport corridor, venue, world thanks, zeal, zero pollution