CWG: Swimmer calls Indian spectators monkeysOctober 9th, 2010 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 9 (IANS) A swimmer participating in the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi has accused Indian spectators of acting like “monkeys”.
South African swimmer Roland Schoeman Friday night also called the Games a “joke”.
“Its an absolute disgrace. There’s a guy in the stands just shouting, shouting, shouting. Somebody like that needs to be ejected,” Daily Telegraph quoted Schoeman as saying.
“It’s unacceptable to be at a professional event like this and have people going on like monkeys. Someone like that doesn’t deserve to be here,” Schoeman said.
“It’s a joke. It’s an absolute joke this event.”
Schoeman spoke out after narrowly avoiding being disqualified when he and England’s Simon Burnett had a false start when they heard a noise in the stand at the second semi-finals for the men’s 50m freestyle.
Officials, however, did not disqualify them.
Schoeman later said: “I’m experienced enough not to make a stupid blunder like that.”
The term “monkey” has taken on new meaning in recent years, with Indian cricketers sledging Australia’s Andrew Symonds with taunts during Australia’s 2007 tour of India.
“Monkey-gate” then returned when India toured Australia the following summer, with Symonds alleging that spin bowler Harbhajan Singh had called him a “monkey” in Sydney.
- After swimmer's 'monkey' remark, unruly crowds to be checked - Oct 09, 2010
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Symmo, Bhajji in the same eleven! - Jan 08, 2011
- Clarke vows not to repeat 'mistakes' when India tours Australia - Jun 11, 2011
- Symonds retires from professional cricket - Feb 16, 2012
- 'Monkeygate' foes Symonds and Bhajji now Mumbai Indians dressing room IPL mates - Jan 09, 2011
- Delhi CWG athletes call lodging at village "liveable" through Tweets - Oct 02, 2010
- The good, bad and ugly of CWG 2010..so far - Oct 12, 2010
- Australian media digs up Monkeygate to tarnish Tendulkar's image - Jan 02, 2012
- 2008 Monkeygate inspired India at Perth: Hussey - Jan 09, 2012
- Ex-ICC chief Speed's book reveals India-Oz Monkeygate 'collusion' - Apr 08, 2011
- Clarke, Dhoni feel there won't be a Monkeygate thanks to IPL - Jan 02, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- South Korean swimmer disqualified from 400m freestyle - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: 50m freestyle, absolute disgrace, Andrew Symonds, blunder, commonwealth games, daily telegraph, friday night, harbhajan singh, indian cricketers, joke, monkey, monkeys, New Delhi, professional event, roland schoeman, semi finals, simon burnett, spectators, swimmer, taunts