CWG shooting: Heena gets silver, Jung bronze, Gagan fails to qualifyOctober 13th, 2010 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) The last day of the shooting competition at the Commonwealth Games here was a disappointment for India as pistol shooters Heena Sindhu missed the gold by 0.3 points and Samresh Jung got just a bronze while Gagan Narang failed to qualify for the final of the 50-metre rifle prone event Wednesday.
Patiala girl Heena, who had won the gold with Annu Raj Singh in the pairs’ event of the 10-metre air pistol Monday, was leading the pack of eight shooters till the seventh shot in the final round of the individual event. But the 21-year-old student of Bachelor of Dental Surgery buckled under pressure in the last three shots and lost the gold by 0.3 points at the Karni Singh Shooting Range.
Heena shot a total of 481.6 (383 qualifying, 98.6 final) while the gold went to Malaysia’s Pei Chin Bibiana with a score of 481.9 (383 final, 98.9 qualifying). Australia’s Dina Apsandiyarova settled for the bronze with 478.9 points (380 qualifying, 98.8 final). Annu Raj shot 475.7 (377 qualifying, 98.7 final) and finished fourth.
In the men’s 25-metre standard pistol, Samresh won the bronze with a score of 559 while the gold went to Singapore’s Bin Gai, who shot a total of 570. Trinidad and Tobago’s Daniel Peter Rogers got the silver with a score of 563.
Narang lost in a shoot-off after three shooters were tied for the eighth position in the qualification round. His compatriot Hari Om Singh, who was battling viral fever, finished eighth in the final round.
- CWG shooting: India surpass Melbourne medal tally, gold count falls (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2010
- I lost my focus, says Heena Sidhu - Oct 13, 2010
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Annu Raj shoots silver at World Cup, books Olympics berth - May 17, 2011
- Asian Games: Shooters add silver, bronze to India's medals tally (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Olympics: Indian pistol shooters Rahi, Annu Raj out of 25m - Aug 01, 2012
- Asian Games: India wins first gold, in fifth position - Nov 14, 2010
- Asian Games: Shooters add to India's medals tally, Pankaj in sight of gold (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Omkar wins bronze, silver for men and women's team - Oct 20, 2011
- CWG shooting: Indians continue to dominate at Karni Singh Range (Night Intro) - Oct 08, 2010
- CWG: India close to 100 medals, battles England for second spot (Intro Night Lead) - Oct 14, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: Bronze for Vijay, Narang misses medal by a whisker (Second Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian shooters bag gold, two silvers (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: air pistol, annu, bibiana, commonwealth games, compatriot, daniel peter, eighth position, gagan, heena, karni, narang, pairs event, patiala, peter rogers, pistol shooters, raj singh, shooting range, three shots, trinidad and tobago, viral fever