CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to 14 days’ judicial custodyMarch 1st, 2011 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) A Delhi court Tuesday sent Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma, former high ranking officials of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee, to 14 days’ judicial custody in connection with financial lapses in a contract with a Swiss company.Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh sent the OC’s former secretary general Bhanot and former director general Verma to judicial custody till March 15.
Both Bhanot and Verma were produced before the court after the expiry of their five day police custody to which they were remanded Feb 24. The CBI did not seek further police custody.
The CBI court allowed Bhanot and Verma to carry their spectacles and medical prescriptions as per the jail manual on the counsel’s request.
“Bhanot and Verma can carry spectacles and medical prescriptions to the jail. However, the medicines will be provided to them according to the jail manual,” the judge said.
The CBI Feb 23 arrested Verma and Bhanot, who was a key aide of erstwhile OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi, for irregularities to the tune of Rs.1.07 billion ($23 million) in a contract with the Swiss company for time-keeping equipment for the Oct 3-14, 2010 mega event.
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to Tihar Jail till Mar. 15 - Mar 01, 2011
- Bhanot, Verma remanded to five-day CBI custody - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to CBI custody for five days - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to judicial custody till Mar. 29 - Mar 15, 2011
- CWG scam: Private firm promoter surrenders - Aug 20, 2011
- CWG case: Bhanot, Verma's judicial custody extended - May 05, 2011
- CWG scam: Court grants bail to firm's official (Second lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Judicial custody of Kalmadi, other CWG scam accused extended - Jul 14, 2011
- CWG timing system contract case trial to start June 6 - May 25, 2011
- CWG scam: Bhanot, Verma sent to five-days CBI custody - Feb 24, 2011
- CWG trial set to begin Tuesday (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Kalmadi's brain scan Thursday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Kalmadi's custody extended till June 1 - May 18, 2011
- Award of contract to Swiss Timing transparent, says Bhanot - Aug 03, 2012
- Court dismisses bail pleas of Bhanot, Verma (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: cbi court, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, delhi court, expiry, irregularities, judicial custody, lalit bhanot, lapses, march 1, medical prescriptions, medicines, New Delhi, police custody, rs 1, secretary general, special judge, spectacles, swiss company, v k verma