CWG men’s hockey: England score dramatic win against New ZealndOctober 9th, 2010 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 9 (IANS) England snatched a dramatic 5-3 win against New Zealand to set up a three-way race for the two semi-final berths from Pool B of the men’s hockey competition in the Commonwealth Games here Saturday.
Three goals by James Tindall and one apiece by Richard Mantell and Rob Moore featured England’s victory while Hayden Shaw (2) and skipper Phil Burrows replied for the Kiwis.
The victory, their second in three matches, took England’s tally to seven points while New Zealand remained on six, the same as South Africa after three matches. All the three play their concluding league matches Sunday — South Africa facing the Kiwis and England taking on Canada, who are out of contention.
“It will be a tough game for us tomorrow as South Africa will be fresh after a day’s break today, but we need to grind it out,” said England head coach Jason Lee.
Lee’s counterpart Shane McLeod too expected a difficult game against Canada on Sunday and said he was disappointed with his team’s performance Saturday.
“England were clinical and we lost a key player (penalty corner specialist Hayden Shaw) at a crucial moment in the match (41st minute) when we trailed 2-3. It shifted the momentum in England’s favour,” said McLeod.
The hard-fought match saw the teams going neck and neck until England pulled away in the second-half.
- CWG Hockey: Athletic New Zealand hold off fighting South Africa (Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: New Zealand bags hockey bronze - Oct 14, 2010
- CWG Hockey: New Zealand beat South Africa 4-2 - Oct 06, 2010
- Black Caps set bench mark for batting powerplay - Mar 14, 2011
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- CWG men's hockey: New Zealand draw with Canada, enter semis - Oct 10, 2010
- New Zealand need to overcome inconsistency and injury - Mar 22, 2011
- Dwyer receives FIH 'Player of the year' award - Dec 10, 2011
- New Zealand drown Kenya in a sea of records (Statistical highlights) - Feb 20, 2011
- CWG women's hockey: India's medal hopes diminish (Roundup) - Oct 08, 2010
- Sangakara's best innings in World Cup (Statistical highlights) - Feb 21, 2011
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
- CWG hockey: New Zealand women through to semis - Oct 08, 2010
- Women's hockey: SA, NZ eye semi-final spot - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG men's hockey: India tied with Pak on points (Roundup) - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: berths, commonwealth games, contention, counterpart, crucial moment, cwg, favour, hayden, head coach, hockey competition, jason lee, kiwis, mantell, New Delhi, new zealnd, phil burrows, seven points, shane mcleod, tally, tindall