CWG: India continue winning spree on day-3 with 10 Gold, 7 silver, 4 bronze medalsOctober 6th, 2010 - 9:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 6 (ANI): Indian wrestlers and shooters continued their winning spree on the third day of the Commonweatlh Games, as they pushed the Indian medal tally to 21; bagging 10 Gold, 7 Silver and 4 bronze medals till Wednesday evening.
Wrestler Sunil Kumar won Bronze medal in the 66 kilogram category of the Greco Roman style wrestling competition till the last reports arrived on Wednesday.
Earlier, Indian wrestler Rajender Kumar beat Pakistani wrestler Azhar Hussain in the final match of Greco Roman wrestling competition in the 55 kilogram category here.
Kumar went on to win the match despite suffering injury in the nose by an aggressive opponent during the match.
India made a good start on the third day of the XIXth Commonwealth Games on Wednesday morning as it bagged four gold medals with shooters leading the way to end with a total of nine gold medals.
World Champion Gagan Narang beat Olympian gold winner Abhinav Bindra to win the gold in the 10 m air rifles (Singles).
After Narang’s win, shooters Omkar Singh and Anisa Sayyed added two more golds for India.
Omkar Singh won gold in the 50metre Pistol final, while Anisa Sayyed won gold in the women in the individual 25 m pistol event.
The last gold for India as per the latest reports came in the form of Manipur weightlifter Renu Bala Chanu, who won gold in 58kg weightlifting event.
The other players from the Indian contingent also had a good day today with Abhinav Bindra winning silver in the 10 m air rifles (Singles). Rahi Sarnobat won the silver in the individual 25m pistols event.
Indian tennis star Somdev Devvarman and Sania Mirza also staged into the quarter finals.
The Indian men’s team also entered the finals of the 4X200m freestyle relay clocking 7 minutes 49.20 seconds to grab the eighth position in the preliminaries at the Dr SPM Aquatics Complex here.
28 gold medals were at stake on the third day, which included Aquatics (9), Cycling (4), Wrestling (4), Shooting (4), Athletics (3), Gymnastics (2) and Weightlifting (2). (ANI)
- CWG: India bags 10th Gold medal, as wrestler Rajender beats Azhar of Pakistan in 55 Kg - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: Weightlifter Ravi bags 11th Gold; India sparkles with 22 medals on Day-3 (update) - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: Omkar Singh wins gold medal in 50 m Pistol - Oct 06, 2010
- Weightlifter Renu Bala Chanu wins ninth gold for India in CWG - Oct 06, 2010
- India's gold kitty at Commonwealth Games swells to 10 (Evening Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestler Anil wins fifth gold for India, beats Australian in 96kg category finals - Oct 05, 2010
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- India's gold hunt gathers pace, swells to 11 (Intro Roundup) - Oct 07, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters shine on India's golden day (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- 11 and counting, India's gold hunt picks up pace (Roundup) - Oct 07, 2010
- Names of Indian medal winners at CWG - Oct 15, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters make India's golden day - Oct 05, 2010
- At 11 gold, India's Commonwealth Games tally continues to swell (Night Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Anisa Sayyad shoots gold in 25m pistol in Commonwealth Games - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG: Indian shooters bag 2 golds, silver too in the kitty (Afternoon lead) - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: air rifles, anisa, bronze medals, chanu, commonwealth games, commonweatlh games, eighth position, final match, gold 7, gold winner, greco roman, indian tennis, leading the way, medal tally, nine gold medals, sania mirza, sayyed, somdev devvarman, weightlifter, world champion