CWG boxing: Amandeep, Jai, Dilbagh lose in semis, get bronzeOctober 11th, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) Indian boxers started their campaign in the semi-final matches in Commonwealth Games on a disappointing note, as three of them lost their bouts Monday.
Seven Indian boxers had reached the semi-finals.
While Amandeep Singh (46 to 49 kg), Jai Bhagwan (60 kg) and Dilbagh Singh (69) lost, Suranjoy Singh (52 kg), Manoj Kumar (64 kg), Vijender Singh (75kg) and Paramjit Samota (+91 kg) will fight it out in the matches later Monday.
Amandeep, Jai and Dilbagh will get a bronze each. (In boxing, the two losing semi-finalists are given bronze).
Amandeep was beaten by Northern Ireland boxer Paddy Barnes in a tough match 5-6.
“I had done a lot of hard work but today I did not fight as per the strategy I had made. I knew that Barnes plays with a tight guard and I also tried to do the same, but it didn’t work. I deliberately waited for him to attack first but it did not work for me,” said a dejected Amandeep.
He was, however, happy at getting a bronze.
“I am a bit happy to win a medal for my country. Now my next aim is Asian Games and I will try my best to win gold there,” said Amandeep.
Strong medal bet Jai Bhagwan was thrashed by Thomas Stalker of England 5-10.
“I tried my level best. I think both of us were equal and evenly matched. He won on the basis of warnings and not on punches. But I wish him luck for the upcoming bout,” Jai told reporters here.
On his win, Stalker said, “He hit me twice with low blows but being a boxer, I just have to stand up and carry on. The atmosphere was unbelievable and Indian fans are lovely.”
In another neck-and-neck fight, Dilbagh was outclassed by Northern Ireland boxer Patrick Gallagher 5-4.
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj in finals (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj, Paramjit in finals (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Boxing: India win three gold (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2010
- CWG: India adds four Bronze medals; as pugilists disappoint - Oct 11, 2010
- Only an Asian Games gold will erase CWG memories: Vijender - Oct 18, 2010
- CWG Boxing: Vijender moves into semis, Akhil crashes out - Oct 11, 2010
- Six Indian boxers assured of bronze at Cuban event - Jun 05, 2011
- Amandeep in final of Asian Confederation boxing - Aug 11, 2011
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Two more Indians qualify for Commonwealth Boxing finals - Mar 16, 2010
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Vijender to spearhead India's CWG boxing challenge - Aug 31, 2010
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- India sweep six gold medals in Commonwealth Boxing - Mar 17, 2010
Tags: amandeep singh, asian games, bet, bouts, commonwealth games, cwg, indian boxers, indian fans, jai bhagwan, low blows, manoj kumar, New Delhi, northern ireland, oct 11, paddy, patrick gallagher, punches, semi finalists, semi finals, thomas stalker