CWG badminton: Kashyap pulls off stunning upset, makes semis with ChetanOctober 11th, 2010 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
By Avishek Roy
New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) India’s Parupalli Kashyap pulled off a stunning 19-21, 21-19, 21-16 upset over fourth-seeded Malaysian Muhammad Hafiz Hashim to move into the semi-finals of the men’s singles badminton event at the Commonwealth Games here Monday.
The 24-year-old Hyderabadi, ranked 32, thrilled a capacity crowd as he got the better of his famed Malaysian rival, world ranked 19, in an hour-long duel. Kashyap, seeded sixth, now plays england’s second-seeded Rajiv Ouseph, whom the Indian beat in the semi-final of the mixed team event, for a place in the singles final.
Also moving into the semi-finals was third-seeded Indian Chetan Anand, who defeated England’s Carl Baxter 21-17, 21-9.
In the women’s doubles, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa made the semi-finals with a 21-9, 21-14 victory over England’s Mariana Agathangelou and Heather Olver. The Indian pair had pulled off a fine victory against Malaysian Eei Hui Chin and Woon Khe Wei 15-21, 21-10, 21-16 in the pre-quarters in the morning session.
But there was some disappointment in store as Aditi Mutatkar went down to second seeded Malaysian Mew Choo Wong 8-21, 12-21 in the women’s singles quarter-final.
Indian mixed doubles pair of Gutta and V.Diju also lost to Malaysian combination Kien Kit Koo and Ei Hui Chin, 13-21, 19-21.
The day belonged to Kashyap, who produced a sensational performance against the 2003 All England Champion.
That Kashyap would create an upset was on the cards going by the way he played in the mixed team event where coach Pullela Gopichand showed faith in the youngster and put him for the decisive singles match in semi-final and final, in place of experienced Chetan Anand. Kashyap upset Ouseph in the mixed team event semifinal and then put up a spirited fight against World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei.
Monday night, Kashyap played patiently and attacked with vengeance. He engaged Hafiz in long rallies and then unnerved him with stinging smashes. The crowd got behind Kashyap, who after rallying from a game down, was confidence personified and did not concede the lead in the decider. His dribbling at the net was equally impressive.
“If you have to reach at the top bracket of world badminton, you should know how to beat players like Hashim. I am happy that I am slowly learning the ropes. It is one of my finest victories,” Kashyap said.
“I want to win a medal for the country.”
“Hafiz is a tall player and has sharp strokes. I kept on retrieving and waited for an opportunity to attack. He was playing freely so I had to be patient and back myself,” said Kashyap, whose asthma has often been a hindrance in his career.
Kashyap said the vociferous backing of the crowd helped him grow in confidence.
“That is how we feel (pressure) when the Malaysians play at home. The crowd gets behind the home player. You cannot imagine how difficult it is to play Malaysian players in their backyard. I am happy that for once I am getting such crowd support at home. It has been a big help.”
- CWG Badminton: Saina, Kashyap storm into semifinals (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG badminton: An erroneous line call pushes Kashyap out (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Badminton: Saina, Gutta-Ponappa in final; Kashyap loses (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG badminton: Saina leads Indian pack in quarter-finals - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG: Historic day for Indian athletics, women sweep discus throw (Night Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG badminton: Gallant India go down to Malaysia, settle for silver (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Jayaram, Gurusaidutt, Saina in Hong Kong Open quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim (Lead, adding results) - Jun 11, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India in mixed team event final (Lead) - Oct 08, 2010
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim - Jun 11, 2010
- CWG: Mixed day for India, first dope case hits Games (Evening Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- CWG 2010: India equals its best ever performance with 30 Gold medals on Day-8 - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,