CWG Badminton: India to face Canada in mixed team quartersOctober 7th, 2010 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) India thrashed Wales 5-0 and Scotland 4-1 in the badminton mixed team event to set up a clash with Canada in the quarter-finals at the Commonwealth Games here Wednesday.
The mixed doubles pair Jwala Gutta and V. Diju were given a tough fight by Scot Watson Briggs and Imogen Bankier, before they prevailed 21-11, 19-21, 21-18.
In men’s singles, P. Kashyap defeated Kieran Merrilees 21-14, 21-11 before Saina got the better of Susan Egelstaff 21-8, 21-16 to clinch the tie for India.
Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas beat Briggs and Van Rietvelde Paul 21-13, 21-16.
Jwala, tired after her hour long match, and Ashwini Ponnappa conceded the women’s
doubles match to Emma mason and Jillie Cooper midway trailing 1-4.
Earlier in the morning session, India thrashed Wales 5-0.
Chetan Anand, World No. 17, defeated Lewis Martyn 21-12, 21-16. Aditi Mutatkar, making her debut in the Games replacing Saina Nehwal, carved out a facile 21-13, 21-8 victory over Turner Carissa in the women’s match.
Sanave and Rupesh had a relatively tougher outing, getting past Phillips James and Morgan Joe 21-17, 21-14.
Ashwini and Aparna got the better of Carissa and Harvey Caroline 21-11, 21-13 while the reliable mixed doubles pair Jwala and V. Diju demolished Martyn and Thomas Sarah 21-8, 21-5.
“It was a good start for me. I hope to do well in the tournament,” said Aditi.
Rupesh and Sanave said they were a bit short of match practice.
“But it is no excuse for the mistakes we committed. They are a good pair, and I am happy that we came through,” Rupesh said.
- CWG Badminton: India demolish Wales, in mixed team quarters - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG badminton: Saina, Chetan move to third round - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India beat Kenya 5-0 in mixed team event - Oct 04, 2010
- All England Championships: Saina enters second round - Mar 07, 2012
- CWG badminton: Saina leads Indian pack in quarter-finals - Oct 11, 2010
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Saina Nehwal in quarters of All England - Mar 11, 2011
- Saina, Jwala-Diju reach quarters of Korea Open (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- CWG Badminton: Kashyap advances to second round - Oct 10, 2010
- Sudirman Cup: India lose 2-3 to Chinese Taipei - May 22, 2011
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- CWG Badminton: India trounce Barbados in mixed team event - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG Badminton: Cakewalk for Indian team in opening match (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: aditi, badminton, bankier, briggs, carissa, chetan anand, clash, commonwealth games, gutta, imogen, jillie, kashyap, kieran, lewis martyn, mixed doubles, morning session, New Delhi, quarter finals, rupesh, scot