CWG Badminton: India demolish Wales, in mixed team quartersOctober 6th, 2010 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) India continued its rampaging form on badminton courts as they outclassed Wales 5-0 to move into the quarter-finals of the mixed team event at the Commonwealth Games here Wednesday.
India, who won the bronze four years ago, registered their third successive win, having earlier thrashed Kenya and Barbados in an identical fashion. In the evening, India will face Scotland in their last pool D match.
Chetan Anand, World No. 17, defeated Lewis Martyn 21-12, 21-16. Aditi Mutatkar, making her debut in the Games replacing Saina Nehwal, carved out a facile 21-13, 21-8 victory over Turner Carissa in the women’s match.
The men’s doubles pair of Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar had a relatively tougher outing, getting past Phillips James and Morgan Joe 21-17, 21-14.
Ashwini Ponnappa and Aparna Balan got the better of Carissa and Harvey Caroline 21-11, 21-13 in women’s doubles while the reliable mixed doubles pair Jwala Gutta and V. Diju demolished Martyn and Thomas Sarah 21-8, 21-5.
“It was a good start for me. I hope to do well in the tournament,” said Aditi.
Rupesh and Sanave said they were a bit short of match practice.
“But it is no excuse for the mistakes we committed. They are a good pair, and I am happy that we came through,” Rupesh said.
- CWG Badminton: India to face Canada in mixed team quarters - Oct 07, 2010
- CWG badminton: Saina, Chetan move to third round - Oct 10, 2010
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Saina Nehwal in quarters of All England - Mar 11, 2011
- CWG badminton: Saina leads Indian pack in quarter-finals - Oct 11, 2010
- Gutta-Diju in pre-quarters, Anand out in singles first round - Aug 24, 2010
- Mutatkar, Bhat clinch national badminton singles titles - Jan 10, 2011
- Indian Open: Anand knocked out, Saina reaches final - Jun 12, 2010
- CWG Badminton: Kashyap advances to second round - Oct 10, 2010
- All England Championships: Saina enters second round - Mar 07, 2012
- CWG badminton: India blank Canada for semi-final spot - Oct 07, 2010
- Saina, Kashyap, Sourabh advance to Thailand Open quarters - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: aditi, aparna balan, badminton courts, barbados, carissa, chetan anand, commonwealth games, debut, excuse, gutta, kenya, lewis martyn, match, mixed doubles, New Delhi, phillips, quarter finals, quarters, rupesh, victory