CWG athletics: Vikas Gowda wins silver in discus throwOctober 10th, 2010 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
By Sirshendu Panth
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) India’s Vikas Gowda brought the country a silver medal in the men’s discus throw event of the track and field competition by hurling the disc 63.69 metres at the Commonwealth Games here Sunday.
Some 40,000 spectators at the majestic Jawaharlal Nehru stadium had their money’s worth as the Mysore-born US-based Gowda took the second place after a stiff competition from Australian Benn Harradine, who took the gold with his best throw of 65.45m. Canada’s Carl Andrew Myerscough took the bronze with a throw of 60.64m.
The Indian led the field after the first round with a 62.84m effort, which was over two metres longer than Herradine’s first throw of 60.18 m.
However, the Australian had an improved throw of 64.73m in his second attempt, which dislodged Gowda from the first position though the Indian came up with his season’s best throw of 63.69 m.
Gowda, who grew up in Maryland in the US, could never better his mark in the remaining four attempts as Herradine raised the bar with his best throw of 65.45 m on the fourth effort.
Cheered by the crowd, the 27-year-old Gowda, who returned from an injury earlier this year, took the victory lap draped in the tri-colour, adding to the weekend festive mood in the gallery.
- CWG athletics: Silver winners Vikas, Prajusha bring cheer for India (Roundup) - Oct 11, 2010
- CWG athletics: Gowda lashes out after dad denied pass - Oct 10, 2010
- Striving hard for a podium finish in London: Discus thrower Krishna Poonia (Interview) - May 13, 2012
- World Championships: Discus thrower Vikas Gowda qualifies for final round - Aug 29, 2011
- Olympics athletics: Indian discus thrower Vikas finishes eighth - Aug 08, 2012
- World Athletics Championships: Vikas Gowda finishes 7th in discuss - Aug 30, 2011
- Olympics: Vikas Gowda makes men's discus throw final (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Krishna Poonia crosses the 63m barrier - Jul 18, 2012
- Olympics athletics: India's Krishna Poonia finishes seventh - Aug 05, 2012
- CWG: India set for record gold haul, thrash Pakistan in hockey (Night Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Asian Games athletics: Gowda disappoints, Luka in 800m final (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Tintu, Mayookha shine at Asian All-Star Athletics Meet - Jul 29, 2010
- Bijlani sinks Panchal in all-India snooker - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: commonwealth games, crowd, cwg, festive mood, field competition, first position, harradine, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, myerscough, mysore, New Delhi, panth, silver medal, spectators, stiff competition, track and field, tri colour, victory lap, vikas gowda