Cummins may also miss ODI series: NSW chiefJanuary 9th, 2012 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 8 (IANS) Cricket New South Wales (NSW) chief executive David Gilbert has said local teen Pat Cummins may miss the summer tri-nation ODI series even if he recovers in time from the heel injury that forced him to miss the ongoing Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy against India.Cummins injured his heel during the Test series in South Africa and was ruled out of the second Test against New Zealand Kiwis after flaring it up during the victory over New Zealand at Brisbane.
Gilbert, a former Test bowler, whose career ended because of a ruptured disc in his lower back, said Cummins proved that young bones needed time to grow.
“There’s been two instances in March and then November where, you’ve got to say, (he’s been sidelined) due to overuse. In the Shield final last March we got to him in the nick of time. That could’ve been a very lengthy lay-off with a stress fracture in his back. Then, of course, there’s been this heel injury that has taken him away from this international summer,” Gilbert was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
“I don’t know whether he’s going to be back in time for the one-dayers but I ask myself why bother? Keep him 100 per cent right for next summer,” he said.
Gilbert asked Cricket Australia (CA) not to rush Cummins in international cricket.
“We have something very, very special on our hands and it makes it even more critical we do the right thing by him because he’s a 10- to 15-year investment for Australian cricket,” he said.
- Australia's teen bowling sensation Cummins doubtful for India series - Dec 07, 2011
- Pattinson, Siddle nursing niggles, but sure to play Test - Dec 16, 2011
- McGrath ready to mentor Australian fast bowlers - Dec 18, 2011
- Cummins should play in all three formats, says his agent - Nov 28, 2011
- Lawson criticises CA's selection policy - Nov 28, 2011
- CA draws up three-year plan for Cummins - Jan 22, 2012
- Boots potential cause for foot injuries in pacers: CA - Jan 17, 2012
- Johnson undergoes toe surgery, ruled out for six months - Dec 01, 2011
- Dan Christian gets Australia call-up for second Test - Dec 05, 2011
- Injury woes may delay Australian squad's naming - Nov 24, 2011
- We have always put the team first: Clarke - Jan 06, 2012
- Clarke wants teammates to prioritise country over IPL - Dec 09, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Australia will be back at the top, says ex-coach Nielsen - Jan 19, 2012
- Clarke ready to 'train his backside off' in quest to find form - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: australian cricket, border gavaskar trophy, cricket australia, cummins, david gilbert, do the right thing, instances, international cricket, morning herald, new south wales, new zealand kiwis, nick of time, odi series, ruptured disc, second test, stress fracture, sydney morning herald, test bowler, test series, tri nation