Cuban Fernandez, Yashvir to get Dronacharya AwardAugust 24th, 2012 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) Cuban coach Blas Iglesias Fernandez Friday became the first foreign coach in India to be awarded the Dronacharya Award.
The sports ministry announced that Fernandez along with Yashvir Singh, coach of two-time Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar, and former national hockey coach Harendra Singh will be presented the prestigious Dronacharya Award.
Discus thrower Krishan Poonia’s husband Virendra, women’s kabbadi coach Sunil Dabas and para athletics’ Satyapal Singh have also been recommended for the award.
Table tennis coach Bhawani Mukherjee and J.S. Bhatia (athletics) have been recognised in the life time achievement category.
Fernandez, who has been with the boxing team for almost two decades, will be become the first foreigner to receive India’s highest honour for coaching excellence at the Aug 29 felicitation ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Usually, not more than five individuals are picked for the award but the government increased the number to eight this time around considering coaches’ contribution in the recently concluded London Olympics and Paralympic Games beginning next week.
The Dhyan Chand award, given for lifetime contribution to sports development, went to Jagraj Singh Mann (athletics), Gundeep Kumar (hockey), Vinod Kumar (wrestling), Sukhbir Singh Tokas (para-sports).
Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar, introduced from 2009 to recognise the contribution made to sports development by entities other than sportspersons and coaches, will be given to Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL), Railway Sports Promotion Board (RSPB), Services Sports Control Board (SSCB) and Air India Sports Promotion Board.
The selection committee for Dronacharya Award was headed by Aslam Sher Khan, a former hockey Olympian, while P.K. Deb, Secretary (Sports) chaired the panel for the Dhyan Chand and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar awards.
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Ministry announces list of sports awards - Aug 05, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Saina Nehwal conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - Aug 29, 2010
- Govt. announces selection committees for national sports awards - Jul 22, 2010
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- President presents Khel Ratna, Arjuna awards - Aug 29, 2009
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- P T Usha to head selection committee for National sports awards - Jul 23, 2010
- Surprised to receive the Dronacharya Award, says Fernandez - Aug 24, 2012
- Maken promises athletes all support for London Olympics - Mar 16, 2011
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh to set up museum after Dhyan Chand - Jan 24, 2012
- CWG schedule: Day Six - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: air india, boxing team, coaching excellence, dhyan chand, highest honour, hockey coach, india sports, life time achievement, lifetime contribution, olympic medallist, rashtrapati, rspb, sher khan, sports development, sports ministry, sports promotion, steel authority of india ltd, sushil kumar, table tennis coach, vinod kumar