Cuban boxing coach warns opponents of tough timesAugust 7th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 7 (Xinhua) Cuban head coach Pedro Roque feels his Olympic boxing team is not short on experience and has the firepower to give a tough time to opponents here. “The majority of our boxers are youth champions. Five of them won gold medals in the last Pan-American Games and that gives us a lot of confidence,” Roque said.
Cuba, a formidable force in the discipline, will miss five pugilists who won gold in Athens Olympics four years back - four of them turned professional while the other hung up his gloves.
“In Cuban boxing, there is big competition and everybody wants to be the best,” Roque said.
“We had to revamp our whole team, just one year ahead of the (Beijing) Olympic Games But our boxers are confident of their chances to shine at the Olympics.”
Roque, however, has realistic expectations from his charges. “I can’t say we will win a lot of gold medals, but I think we can try to win several silver and bronze medals.”
He also feels the Chinese squad could give their Russian, US and British opponents a hard time during the fights.
Cuba did not compete in the 2007 World Amateur Boxing Championships, and has obtained 10 out of the 11 qualifying berths, the first time for Cuba in four decades.
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Indian sports trainers get Cuban exposure (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Pakistan gears up for World boxing meet - Sep 21, 2011
- Cuban boxing great Teofilo Stevenson dies - Jun 12, 2012
- Only an Asian Games gold will erase CWG memories: Vijender - Oct 18, 2010
- Cuban boxing legend's home to become museum - Jul 13, 2012
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- India looking for more Cuban coaches - Nov 24, 2010
- Boxer Poonia settles for silver at Comonwealth Youth Games - Sep 12, 2011
- India's boxing future bright: Vijender - Apr 14, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: amateur boxing, athens olympics, beijing, boxers, boxing coach, bronze medals, firepower, gold medals, hard time, head coach, olympic boxing team, olympic games, opponents, pan american games, pugilists, realistic expectations, roque, tough times, world amateur, xinhua