Cristiano Ronaldo short-listed for FIFA World PlayerDecember 12th, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 12 (IANS) Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo could be in line for another major honour after being short-listed for the FIFA World Player of the Year award. The Portugal and Manchester United winger has been nominated alongside Barcelona duo Lionel Messi and Xavi, AC Milan playmaker Kaka and Liverpool striker Fernando Torres.
The players have been put forward by the coaches and captains of national teams from around the world.
Ronaldo was third in last year’s FIFA vote behind Brazilian winner Kaka and Argentinian Messi but is the overwhelming favourite to see off those two to take the award for 2008, which is presented in Zurich Jan 12.
The Portuguese achieved phenomenal success individually and as part of a team last season, winning the Premier League and Champions League with United while scoring 42 goals.
Xavi and Torres enjoyed impressive seasons with their respective clubs but feature among the five largely due to their success at Euro 2008 with Spain.
Kaka, who has failed to impress with Brazil recently while winning no silverware with AC Milan, is regarded as the rank outsider while Messi’s individual brilliance is tempered by a lack of trophies in the last 18 months.
This is the first year five players, rather than three, have been named on the short-list.
England’s Kelly Smith features on the women’s short-list but faces stiff competition from Brazilian pair Marta and Cristiane and Germany’s Birgit Prinz and Nadine Angerer.
- Messi, Ronaldo among FIFA World Player short list - Oct 30, 2009
- FIFA World Player 2009 short lists - Oct 30, 2009
- List of FIFA World Footballer of the Year since 1991 - Dec 22, 2009
- Lionel Messi wins FIFA World Player of the Year award - Dec 22, 2009
- Messi crowns exceptional season with World Footballer award (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- Messi wins Fifa Ballon d'Or for third successive year - Jan 10, 2012
- Chelsea now eyeing to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka - Mar 06, 2011
- Portugal's Ronaldo is 2008 World Footballer of the Year (lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- AC Milan seeks Kaka-Ibrahimovic swap - Jun 19, 2012
- Club World Cup: Barca demolish Santos to claim title - Dec 18, 2011
- FIFA, France Football combine for best footballer award - Jul 05, 2010
- Roo, Lamps and Gerrard in EU player of the year shortlist - Oct 20, 2008
- Kaka still on AC Milan's long injured list - Mar 06, 2009
- Tevez, Di Maria to be seen alongside Messi in Kolkata friendly - Jun 06, 2011
- Real Madrid, AC Milan chiefs meet to decide Kaka's future - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: ac milan, birgit prinz, cristiano ronaldo, fifa world player, fifa world player of the year, fifa world player of the year award, kelly smith, lionel messi, rank outsider, world player of the year