Cristiano Ronaldo doubts about staying at ManU after defeatMay 28th, 2009 - 7:47 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 28 (DPA) In just a few hours, Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo went from saying that Manchester is his home to casting doubt on his future at Manchester United.
When asked whether he would stay in England, after the 2-0 loss to Barcelona in Wednesday’s Champions League final in Rome, Ronaldo said: “I don’t know.”
There has been speculation for months about the Portuguese player, 24, awarded the Ballon d’Or and FIFA Player of the Year 2008, joining Real Madrid. Former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, a candidate to lead the Spanish giants again, is always keen on signing big stars.
Ronaldo never hid his admiration for Real Madrid, though he has stressed again and again that he is happy in the Premiership.
However, his state of mind appeared to change in line with his performance in Wednesday’s final: he started out very well, with three good shots on goal in the first eight minutes, but then failed to shine, lost the game and was booked. Moreover, he was booed by Barcelona fans, who already see him as a representative of their arch-rival Real Madrid.
“Everything went badly. We started out well, but then we did nothing. We did not control the match, and we lost. I think Barcelona played better and deserves the win,” he said.
Ronaldo noted that United were not up to the challenge of winning their second straight Champions League.
“Everyone expected Manchester to do better, but it didn’t happen,” he said. “We did not play fantastically, we did not control play, we did not do the right thing, we wasted goals, and that is what happened today.”
Still, the forward was optimistic about the future.
“I am sure I am going to play more finals,” he said.
Ronaldo did not, however, specify with which team.
- Focused on helping Real win La Liga: Ronaldo - Nov 18, 2011
- Mourinho going nowhere: Cristiano Ronaldo - Mar 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Ronaldo predicts all-Spanish final - Apr 07, 2012
- Messi wins Fifa Ballon d'Or for third successive year - Jan 10, 2012
- Ronaldo urges Mourinho not to leave Real Madrid - Apr 16, 2011
- The door to Barcelona is a long way away: Ronaldo - Sep 17, 2011
- Berlusconi dreams of buying Ronaldo for AC Milan - Apr 13, 2011
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Mourinho commits future to Madrid after Champions League failure - Apr 26, 2012
- Puyol says Liga still not lost for Barcelona - Jan 11, 2012
- Barcelona not Man U is Champions League contender: Messi - Mar 18, 2011
- Barcelona-Real Madrid quarter-final clash likely - Dec 24, 2011
- Ronaldo determined to become the best player in history - Dec 30, 2009
- Mourinho evasive ahead of Barca tie - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: admiration, ballon, barcelona fans, champions league, cristiano ronaldo, do the right thing, doubts, dpa, florentino perez, giants, manchester united, manu, match, portuguese, premiership, real madrid, ronaldo, shots on goal, speculation, striker