Cristiano Doni arrested in connection with the match fixing probeDecember 19th, 2011 - 11:50 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Rome, Dec 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Former Italian football star Cristiano Doni has been arrested by the police. The arrest is in connection with match fixing probe that is currently ongoing in the country. Doni is one of the 17 people who have been rounded up by the police in connection with the illegal betting scandal.
Police say the arrested persons are being held on suspicion that they collaborated with criminals in Asia and Europe to fix football matches. Italian investigators say they made the arrests in several cities around the country. The investigation has been ongoing for the past decade.
Prosecutor Roberto Di Martino told reporters that, “This is not the end - just a starting point… Let’s hope it’s a starting point in cleaning up the beautiful game that is football.”
He revealed that football match-fixing has taken a global proportion stressing that they take place in almost all the continents in the world. Doni’s former team Atalanta was the subject of the investigation as well.
This is not the first time that investigators have commenced investigation into match fixing in Italy. About five years ago, some of the country’s top football clubs were punished when various match-fixing schemes were uncovered by investigators. Juventus, one of the most successful clubs in Europe, was relegated as a result of the scandal.
- Serie A defender arrested over match-fixing suspicion - Apr 03, 2012
- Italy captain Buffon probed for illegal gambling - Jun 01, 2012
- Seventeen held for football match-fixing - Dec 20, 2011
- Lazio captain Mauri arrested for match-fixing - May 28, 2012
- New match-fixing scandal hits Italy - May 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Zimbabwe's former soccer chief held for match-fixing scandal - Feb 03, 2012
- Criscito flies to Italy for match-fixing hearing - Jul 15, 2012
- 15 arrested in Turkey football scandal - Jul 08, 2011
- Russian football players asked to fix matches: Report - Feb 08, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Turkish club's chairman arrested for fraud - Apr 05, 2012
- Juventus down Napoli 4-2 to win Italian Super Cup - Aug 11, 2012
- Nine arrests in Italy match-rigging probe - Nov 23, 2009
- Hungarian football club director commits suicide - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: all the continents, asia and europe, beautiful game, continents in the world, criminals, cristiano doni, football clubs, football match, football matches, football star, former team, investigators, italian football, match fixing in italy, proportion, prosecutor, roberto di martino, rome, scandal, suspicion