Cricket should not be allowed in Olympics: ChristieAugust 14th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) might be lobbying hard to get Twenty20 cricket in the 2012 London Olympics, but famous British Olympic gold medallist Linford Christie feels that team sports has no place in the Games. The sprinter, who arrived here early Thursday morning for a television show, objected to ICC’s move, saying that team sports are not in line with the spirit of the Olympics.
“Why cricket? No team sports should be allowed in the Olympics,” the 48-year-old Olympian told reporters at a five star hotel in Gurgaon.
“In a team of 11 players, nine might be working hard but the other two might not. This is not in line with the spirit of Olympics,” said Christie, who will be the guest anchor for a special Olympic programme in news channel NewsX.
Christie emerged the fastest man in 1992 Barcelona Games winning the showpiece 100 metre. He also won silver medals in Seoul Olympics in 100 metre and 4X100 metre relay.
- Lewis greater than Phelps, greatest ever, says Christie - Aug 14, 2008
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- 10K run augurs well for India: Linford Christie - May 24, 2012
- Veteran Brit athlete says cricket in Olympics will hamper individual disciplines - Aug 18, 2008
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- World Athletics Championship: Jamaican minister laments Powell 100m exit - Aug 27, 2011
- Son of Olympics hero jailed over drug link - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Powell a major doubt for remainder of season - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- India's who's who tweet on Narang's feat - Jul 30, 2012
- Ben Johnson in Goa with Indian origin footballers - Jul 29, 2011
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, anchor, barcelona games, fastest man, gurgaon, international cricket council, linford christie, New Delhi, newsx, olympic gold medallist, olympics, seoul olympics, showpiece, silver medals, spirit, sprinter, star hotel, team sports, television show, thursday morning