Cricket in US can be a really good long-term deal: VaughanApril 24th, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Apr 24(ANI): New Zealand Cricket Chief Executive Justin Vaughan predicts the Twenty20 series between Black Caps and Sri Lanka in Florida would not be a profit making series, but would have the potential of long-term gains.
“The series will run at a loss. The US is a market that needs to grow to love and appreciate cricket before you can start really trying to run profitable events,” The New Zealand Herald quoted Vaughan, as saying.
“In the long term it could be a really good deal for us,” he added.
Vaughan said there is a substantial expatriate community from the Asian and Caribbean nations in the region, which the NZC is hoping to tap into with USA Cricket (USAC).”We certainly spent quite a reasonable chunk of time and effort shaping our proposal in terms of outlining to USAC how we believed the partnership could be mutually beneficial,” Vaughan said.
“We view it as a much longer term strategic move and really believe if the US can get the game better developed and followed it can be a real benefit to us,” he added.
The matches will be played at the Central Broward County Regional Park Cricket Stadium between May 20 and May 23. (ANI)
- New Zealand, Sri Lanka T20 series seeks to popularise cricket in the US - Apr 23, 2010
- 2011 World Cup is not beyond 'struggling' Kiwis: Vaughan - Dec 06, 2010
- David White appointed chief executive of New Zealand Cricket - Dec 06, 2011
- NZC General Manager resigns over humiliating Bangladesh ODI series - Nov 01, 2010
- New Zealand Cricket chief Vaughan game for annual cricket series in US - Apr 24, 2010
- NZ cricket 'blown away' by ICC generous cash relief - Apr 05, 2011
- Southee under NZC probe for in-flight incident with female passenger - Feb 09, 2011
- Being vice-captain does not guarantee Taylor future New Zealand captaincy: Vaughan - Feb 14, 2011
- McCullum forces Kiwi selectors into U-turn over inclusion for Pak T20 match - Dec 23, 2010
- New Zealand Cricket toying with idea of having separate Test, T20 coaches - Jan 23, 2011
- Lou Vincent aims to play for New Zealand again - Dec 20, 2009
- Kiwis' two Test tour to Bangladesh postponed till 2012 over oppressive conditions - Mar 24, 2011
- Coach Wright takes on an Aussie assistant - Dec 24, 2010
- Vettori named New Zealand player of the year - Sep 10, 2010
- New Zealand Cricket puts an end to Southee 'mid-air dalliance' controversy - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,