Cricket in Pak will benefit more from batting-friendly pitches: MiandadJanuary 7th, 2009 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Jan (ANI): Pakistan Cricket Boards (PCB) Director General Javed Miandad feels that cricket in the country will benefit more from batting-friendly strips.
The former Pakistan captain told reporters here that he has instructed the countrys chief curator to prepare wickets that can enable high-scoring matches instead of green tops in domestic tournaments like the ongoing Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.
Miandad said that sub-standard wickets were prepared for the initial rounds of the tournament, which is why most of the first-class matches ended within two or three days.
He said Pakistan should have wickets on which a team can score 500 or 600 runs, The News reported.
We need to produce world class batsmen. We need seven good batsmen for the national team and you cannot groom them on sub-standard wickets, he said.
Senior Pakistani cricketers like pacer Shoaib Akhtar and batsman Younis Khan have in the recent times urged for sporting wickets.
They wanted the PCB to order wickets that can support fast bowlers.
However, Miandad made it clear that the Board will not vote in the favour of bouncy and green-top wickets. Fast wickets will not serve the purpose.
If you see all over the world, wickets are becoming more batting friendly because spectators come to see runs being scored. We also need our domestic matches to be high-scoring encounters, he said. (ANI)
- Miandad says no to green top pitches for domestic competition - Jan 06, 2009
- In-form Faisal Iqbal hopeful of recall in Pak cricket team - Apr 06, 2011
- Younis hits out at poor facilities for premier domestic event - Jan 04, 2009
- PCB introduces grading system for Pak umpires - Jan 21, 2011
- Pak's holding of Quaid-e-Azam final under lights may revolutionize Test cricket: Miandad - Jan 13, 2011
- Hard task master Miandad making Pak players toil hard in training camp - Sep 15, 2009
- Miandad orders green top at Gaddafi Stadium in preparation for Champions Trophy - Aug 31, 2009
- Pakistan to play premier domestic final with pink balls - Jan 11, 2011
- Younis Khan supports Miandad's 'green pitch' policy - Sep 09, 2009
- PCB to videotape domestic matches to deal with players' indiscipline - Jan 31, 2011
- Former PCB chief against having batting coach in Pak team - Apr 12, 2011
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- PCB appoints Miandad as Pak team's 'batting consultant' - Nov 27, 2010
- Batsmen need to show improvement: Waqar - Apr 13, 2011
- PCB backs day-night Test matches - May 11, 2011
Tags: batsman, chief curator, cricket boards, director general, favour, first class, initial rounds, javed miandad, karachi, pacer, pakistan captain, pakistan cricket, pakistani cricketers, pitches, quaid e azam, spectators, tops, trophy, wickets, younis khan