Cricket-fan Bolt loves Hayden and Gilchrist’s battingAugust 17th, 2008 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
By V. Krishnaswamy
Beijing, Aug 16 (IANS) Usain Bolt, who shattered his own world record by 0.03 seconds while winning the Olympic 100m men’s final by one of the largest margins, is a big cricket fan. The lanky laid-back young man, who hit the headlines with a win in the world junior 200m final as a 15 year old, has often been seen as one not too serious about his sport.
The tall 196 cm sprinter West Indian resembles a fast bowler, who last week in Beijing mentioned that he loved the way big-hitting Australian cricketers Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist bat.
He had said, “They bat aggressive and I really like it,” Bolt said.
Bolt, who played street cricket like all Jamaicans in his school days, is also good friends with many of the cricketers and till a couple of years ago would once in a while turn his arm around in a fun game.
Bolt, incidentally, is a great friend of Asafa Powell, whose record he had taken away in June and improved on it further this evening. He hangs out with Bolt when at home in Kingston.
They have raced several times and while Bolt won the Jamaican Olympic trial in June, Powell got revenge in Stockholm in late July.
It is remarkable that Bolt had not made up his mind to run the 100m until he arrived in Beijing two weeks ago. His main focus has always been the 200m, in which he won the silver medal at last year’s world championships, and he has the fastest time this year of 19.67sec.
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Bolt escapes unhurt in a minor car crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Asafa Powell says he is favourite to win World title - Aug 25, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Powell a major doubt for remainder of season - Aug 07, 2012
- World's fastest man Bolt return to track in May - Mar 25, 2011
- Bolt beaten in 100m at Jamaican Olympic trials - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Sprint legend Quarrie says team support boosted Jamaica - Aug 22, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Now Blake keen on playing in Australia's Big Bash - Aug 17, 2012
- Bolt squares off with Powell again in Oslo - Jun 07, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Bolt injury free, ready to defend titles, says manager - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: adam gilchrist, asafa powell, australian cricketers, beijing, bolt, cricket fan, fastest time, fun game, good friends, jamaicans, krishnaswamy, laid back, margins, matthew hayden, olympic trial, several times, silver medal, world championships, world record, young man