Cricket Australia likely to end Ponting’s nine-year reign as captainMarch 22nd, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 22(ANI): Australian captain Ricky Ponting could be in the final week of his nine-year reign after a troubled build-up to the World Cup on the Indian sub-continent, a Cricket Australia official has said.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Ponting is likely to face stiff opposition at the boardroom level to retain his job for next month’s tour of Bangladesh, but his position as a player was not in jeopardy.
“We need to be looking at the future. It’s time for us to make a change,” the newspaper quoted the official, as saying.
The official also highlighted that Ponting has lurched from one controversy to another in the six-week tournament, which may work against him.
“We’re waiting for the next thing to blow up. We don’t go a game without there being some issues with him,” the official said.
The 36-year-old was reprimanded by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for smashing a dressing-room TV in a fit of fury, and was also criticized for angrily throwing the ball to the ground after colliding with teammate Steven Smith during their victory over Canada.
Ahead of the World Cup, Ponting had earned the dubious distinction of becoming the only Australian skipper to fail to win the Ashes three times, putting him under enormous pressure.
Meanwhile, vice-captain Michael Clarke’s stocks have risen in recent weeks after returning to form late and leading the team with distinction during the ODI series against England when Ponting was nursing a broken finger.
Clarke is also being viewed by Cricket Australia (CA) management as having a strong rapport with younger fans, whom CA is desperate to win over. (ANI)
- CA divided over Ponting as captain after World Cup - Mar 22, 2011
- Oz Test legend Walters wants Ponting axed as skipper after World Cup - Mar 18, 2011
- Ponting survives axe, CA endorses him as skipper - Dec 31, 2010
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Clarke opts out of Big Bash to concentrate on Tests - Jul 22, 2011
- Ponting quits as captain, wants Clarke to succeed him - Mar 29, 2011
- Clarke has many challenges as Australian Cricket captain - Mar 30, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Clarke admits role in Ponting's axing - Feb 23, 2012
- Public should give 'Pup' Clarke a fair go - Apr 09, 2011
- Ponting had done enough to have say on his future as captain: Gilchrist - Mar 22, 2011
- Katich reprimanded for his comments on Clarke - Dec 05, 2011
- Injured Ponting out of fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Oz selectors chief Hilditch's job is safe for time being - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: australian captain, boardroom, broken finger, captain michael, captain ricky, cricket australia, dressing room, dubious distinction, indian sub continent, international cricket council, jeopardy, looking at the future, michael clarke, morning herald, odi series, room tv, steven smith, stiff opposition, sydney morning herald, vice captain