Cricket Australia appoints Marsh, Bichel as selectorsNovember 10th, 2011 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Nov 10 (IANS) Former players Rodney Marsh and Andy Bichel will be the two new faces in Cricket Australia’s (CA) re-structured national selection panel.
The duo will work under chairman John Inverarity, captain Michael Clarke and the national coach, who is yet to be appointed, according to Sydney Morning Herald.
The appointments were made following the recommendations after the team’s performance review of the Ashes debacle.
“The recommendations included appointment of a senior manager with singular accountability for performance of the Australian cricket team - a new role now filled by Pat Howard - and re-structuring of the national selection panel to include a full-time national selector and to also include the captain and head coach, as well as two part-time selectors,” a CA release said.
Marsh, Australia’s most successful wicketkeeper-batsman, is also credited for his work with cricket academies in Australia in the 1990s.
“I’m excited to be back working for CA. It’s been a decade since I last worked for CA. Certainly, the most rewarding time I ever had was working with CA at the academy in Adelaide.”
“This is an important role and I’m looking forward to watching young Australian cricketers develop and to our established players continuing to improve.”
Bichel has taken up a range of coaching roles since he retired. He was the coach of Papua New Guinea and is currently employed by the Chennai Super Kings in the IPL as a bowling coach.
Bichel said he is eager to make a “real contribution” to the game.
“Over the last 20 years of international, state and county cricket, I have developed knowledge of the game that will assist me in this role.
“I’ve stayed close to the game and have recently been a bowling coach in the IPL and have seen a lot of developing Australian talent perform in that competition,” said Bichel, who was part of the dominant 2003 World Cup winning squad and played 19 Tests for the national side.
- Rod Marsh is manager of Australia's cricket coaches - Dec 22, 2011
- South African Arthur appointed Australia's cricket coach - Nov 22, 2011
- Hilditch backs review panel recommendations - Aug 19, 2011
- Bichel doesn't want to be Aussie bowling coach - May 18, 2012
- Veteran Hogg recalled to Australia's Twenty20 squad - Jan 23, 2012
- Will Rod Marsh replace Hilditch? - Jul 10, 2011
- Rod Marsh eyes Hilditch job on selection panel - Aug 20, 2011
- Former rugby player named performance manager of Australian cricket - Oct 13, 2011
- CA makes sweeping changes, sacks Hilditch and Chappell from selection panel - Aug 19, 2011
- CA appoint Greg Chappell as national talent manager - Aug 23, 2010
- Big Bash could affect Test team's preparations: Inverarity - Dec 21, 2011
- Fleming backs former teammates for Australia's bowling coach job - Jan 22, 2011
- Lawson criticises CA's selection policy - Nov 28, 2011
- Cricket Australia announce squads for warm-ups against India - Dec 09, 2011
- Bradhaw frontrunner for CA team performance chief's post - Sep 11, 2011
Tags: andy bichel, australian cricket team, bowling coach, captain michael, chairman john, county cricket, cricket academies, cricket australia, ipl, michael clarke, national coach, national selection, new faces, papua new guinea, pat howard, rewarding time, rodney marsh, selection panel, sydney morning herald, wicketkeeper