Court notice on transfer of land for cricket stadiumJuly 11th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 11 (IANS) A division bench of the Punjab and Haryana High Court Friday issued notices to the Punjab government and Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) on a proposal to transfer agricultural land meant for research for building a multi-million cricket stadium near Bathinda town in southwest Punjab. Chief Justice Vijender Kumar Jain and Justice Mahesh Grover were hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed jointly by Congress legislator Sukhpal Singh Khaira and Sarabjit Singh, a farmer from Ludhiana.
The notice were also served on Department of Sports and Youth Services and the Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) Ludhiana.
The petition challenged the government’s move to transfer over 25 acres of prime agricultural land, used for agriculture research by PAU scientists for decades, for building a world-class cricket stadium in Bathinda, 300 km from here.
The petition contended that the land was acquired by the Punjab government in November 1984 for setting up a regional research station of PAU specifically keeping in mind the peculiarities of the area like poor quality underground water, high salt concentration in soil, sandy soil and sand dunes, poor yield of crops and other problems.
It pointed out that research carried out at the station helped Punjab’s green revolution in the Bathinda belt and the move to wind up the centre to replace it with a cricket stadium was illogical and anti-farmer.
The district administration sought the land from PAU on a 99-year-lease without any payable rent or cost of the land. The new stadium would be built on the lines of the PCA stadium in Mohali near here.
The next hearing on the matter has been posted for July 21.
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- Pay Rs.1,800 per quintal of wheat: Badal - Oct 24, 2011
- Punjab gets Borlaug institute of agriculture - Oct 02, 2011
- Poll panel watching! Punjab goes low on ladoos, posters (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 21, 2012
- Badal rejects new minimum price for wheat - Oct 08, 2011
- BJP wing to hold Kisan parliament in Delhi Saturday - May 11, 2012
- CBI raids FCI depots in Punjab - Jun 25, 2011
- Tax notice to KXIP - Apr 19, 2011
- Budget disappointing for farmers: Badal - Feb 28, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Punjab cautions farmers on hybrid paddy varieties - Jun 11, 2011
- Decks cleared for Borlaug Institute in Bihar - Feb 01, 2012
- Gloves out in Congress after Punjab defeat (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 06, 2012
- Chargers set Kings XI 191-run target - May 13, 2012
- Noida land acquisition row: SC notice to UP, Noida - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: agriculture research, class cricket, cricket stadium, district administration, division bench, green revolution, khaira, mohali, pau ludhiana, pca stadium, prime agricultural land, public interest litigation, punjab agricultural university, punjab and haryana high court, punjab cricket association, punjab government, regional research, salt concentration, sandy soil, underground water