Court allows IPL cricketer to sit for examMay 15th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday directed the Delhi University (DU) to allow an Indian Premier League (IPL) cricketer, falling short of requisite attendance, to appear in his BA first year examinations.
Hearing the plea filed by St. Stephens College student and Delhi Daredevils team member Unmukt Chand, Justice Vipin Sanghi issued notice to the Delhi University and the college and sought their reply by May 18, the next date of hearing.
Allowing the plea of Unmukt Chand, a former Under-19 team captain and Ranji Trophy player, the court directed the university to allow him to appear for the economics paper Tuesday and other papers scheduled for May 17.
Justice Sanghi, however, directed the university not to declare his result till the final disposal of his petition by the court.
Chand alleged that the university had taken an arbitrary decision not to issue him admit card to sit for the examination, since he had got admission last year on sports quota and the sportspersons get relaxation in their attendance.
In his petition, Chand said he had been busy with various cricket matches, including the IPL matches, and so was not able to attend the classes.
He pleaded that he was not able to appear in two papers earlier due the IPL matches but since he was in Delhi Tuesday, he wanted to appear in his economics examination.
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- Unmukt allowed to move to second year: VC (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sports minister to bat for Unmukt at Delhi University (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Court allows rusticated MBBS student to sit for exam - Jun 08, 2012
- Flunked by college, Unmukt finds support in Dhoni - Aug 30, 2012
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- Jamia Millia open to students' union poll, court told - Jul 24, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Court orders seizure of ex-armyman's revolver - Jun 06, 2012
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Court refuses to stay probe against chess federation (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Railways appeals single judge's order on competition panel - Feb 28, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: admission, arbitrary decision, attendance, cricket, cricketer, daredevils, delhi high court, delhi university, economics paper, ipl, New Delhi, petition, plea, premier league, quota, relaxation, reply, st stephens college, team captain, team member