Court admits complaint against Harbhajan-Mona ‘Ravana-Sita’ danceOctober 10th, 2008 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 10 (IANS) A local court here Friday admitted a criminal complaint against off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and TV actress Mona Singh for hurting sentiments of a religious community with their ‘Ravana-Sita’ dance number on a reality show last week.The court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) here listed proceedings of the case for Monday next.
The complaint against Harbhajan and Mona of “Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin” fame was filed by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and human rights activists. The TV channel Colors has also been named in the complaint.
Harbhajan, popular in cricket circles as ‘Bhajji’, and his dance partner Mona Singh, both of whom are Sikhs, had last week performed a number on dance reality show “Ek Khiladi, Ek Hasina” depicting themselves as mythological demon-king Ravana and Lord Ram’s wife Sita.
In Hindu mythology, Ram’s wife Sita was abducted by demon-king Ravana.
Radical Hindu organisations have objected to the dance number that allegedly mocked Hindu sentiments.
It drew condemnation and calls for an apology also from the highest temporal seat of the Sikh religion, the Akal Takht.
The head of the Akal Takht said that both celebrities had offended Hindus and Sikhs and should apologise for their act.
- Harbhajan, Mona Singh get court summons for 'Ravana-Sita' dance - Feb 05, 2009
- NGO to appeal against court's clean chit to Harbhajan - Sep 02, 2009
- Court summons programme director of Colors TV channel - Oct 13, 2008
- Harbhajan-Mona Singh's 'Ravana-Sita' dance upsets Sikh clergy - Oct 08, 2008
- TV actress Mona Singh chased with summons in Chandigarh - Sep 16, 2009
- Harbhajan Singh continues to play with fire - Oct 10, 2008
- Harbhajan apologizes for 'Ravan-Sita' dance - Oct 20, 2008
- Harbhajan served court summons in Chandigarh - Nov 02, 2009
- Harbhajan, Mona Singh are 'Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena' winners - Oct 26, 2008
- Ravana in high demand on Dussehra for different reasons - Oct 17, 2010
- Bhajji revs up controversy again, this time with Hummer - Sep 03, 2009
- West Bengal artists perform dance depicting killing of demon king - Oct 20, 2010
- Sikh body wants action against Ajay Devgn - Aug 29, 2012
- PM, Sonia, Ansari attend Dussehra function - Oct 06, 2011
- Demon king Ravana eulogized in Allahabad - Sep 26, 2008