Cotto Vs Clottey: the World Welterweight ChampionshipJune 14th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by GD
On 13th June, Madison Square Garden saw a memorable fight between the two welterweight champions of the world - Miguel Angel Cotto and Joshua Clottey. After 12 rounds of boxing, the fight resulted in a split decision win in for Miguel Cotto, who sustained an early injury because of an accidental blow to the head but managed to recover and and retained his title. The fight was scored 116-111 by Referee Don Trella and 115-112 by John McKaie, both in favor of Cotto, while only Tom Miller had decided 114-113 for Clottey.
Touted as New York’s most popular fighter, Miguel Cotto is a three-time world champion who risked his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title against Joshua Clottey, who is the International Boxing Federation (IBF) welterweight champion in a scheduled 12-round unification bout. This victory is looked upon as a triumphant return of Cotto after the unethical and brutal loss he suffered at the hands of Antony Margarito, who is now discredited for unfair tactical advantage. Incidentally, Cotto’s opponent Clottey had also suffered a defeat against Margarito because of a broken right hand during the fight. this was the only defeat in a two year, five-bout winning streak.
Both fighters had been enthusiastic and Cotto had been appreciative of the fact that they were going up against a worthy opponent. “His record proves he belongs at the elite level of the welterweight division. But I will be ready to give everything I have against him and to do all that is necessary to defeat him. On June 13th, the world will witness a great fight between Clottey and me. It’s going to be a war inside the ring at The Garden.” said Cotto.
- Miguel Cotto Wins WBA Junior Middleweight Title - Jun 06, 2010
- Manny Pacquiao Wins - Mar 14, 2010
- Manny Pacquiao Vs Antonio Margarito War To Hit Tonight - Nov 14, 2010
- Saul Alvarez Wins Over Jose Miguel Cotto - May 02, 2010
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Joshua Clottey Match Tonight - Mar 13, 2010
- Boxing may replace European football in volatile Dagestan - Jul 05, 2012
- Manny Pacquiao Lives Up To The Expectations Of His Fans - Nov 14, 2010
- Bieber escorts Mayweather to boxing ring - May 08, 2012
- Paulie Malignaggi Defeats Juan Diaz - Dec 13, 2009
- UFC 126 Fight Card Results Announced - Feb 06, 2011
- WBA champ Amir Khan eyeing undefeated legend Mayweather's mantle - Dec 15, 2010
- Saul Alvarez Defeats Lovemore Ndou - Dec 05, 2010
- Brit boxing ace Khan says he never tested positive for drugs - Dec 26, 2010
- Olympic boxing: Kazakhstan's Sapiyev wins welterweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 12 rounds, antony, champions of the world, elite level, international boxing federation, joshua clottey, madison square garden, margarito, miguel angel cotto, miguel cotto, split decision, tactical advantage, time world champion, tom miller, trella, triumphant return, unification, winning streak, world boxing organization, worthy opponent