Corinthians top Group F in Libertadores CupMarch 22nd, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 22 (IANS) Corinthians took first place in Group F with a narrow 1-0 victory over Mexico’s Cruz Azul at home in the 2012 Libertadores Cup.
The game’s only goal came in the 35th minute from a free kick by Alex which Danilo headed past keeper Corona and into the Cruz Azul goal. Cruz Azul players complained that Danilo used his arm to direct the ball, but the referee did not overturn the goal.
With the win, Corinthians toppled Cruz Azul and claimed first place in the group with eight points. Cruz Azul falls to second with seven points, Xinhua reported.
Corinthians will next travel to face Paraguay’s Nacional April 11.
The top two teams of each of the eight groups advance into the second phase of the competition. Corinthians are looking to win their first Libertadores Cup title.
- Liberatdores Cup: Corinthians beat Nacional - Mar 08, 2012
- Corinthians secure Copa Libertadores knockout-stage berth - Apr 12, 2012
- Corinthians win in Adriano's season debut - Feb 19, 2012
- Tite considers dropping Corinthians striker Liedson - Mar 23, 2012
- Flamengo beat rivals Fluminense 2-0 - Mar 12, 2012
- Vasco da Gama continue unbeaten run in Rio Cup - Mar 12, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Botafogo beat rivals Vasco da Gama 3-1 - Mar 19, 2012
- Fluminense undefeated in Libertadores Cup - Mar 15, 2012
- Juninho out of Vasco da Gama lineup - Mar 31, 2012
- Stoppage-time header from gives Fluminense victory - Apr 19, 2012
- Santos record convincing away win in Libertadores Cup - Mar 16, 2012
- Libertadores Cup: Neymar stars in Santos win over Internacional - Mar 08, 2012
- Tite continues suspension of Adriano - Mar 10, 2012
- Souza strikes to secure victory for Vasco da Gama - Apr 13, 2012