Corinthians shock Santos in Libertadores semisJune 14th, 2012 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 14 (IANS) Striker Emerson scored a wonder goal but was sent off as Corinthians earned a 1-0 victory over defending champions Santos in their Copa Libertadores semi-final first-leg.
Emerson gave the visitors the lead after 27 minutes at the Vila Belmiro stadium by unleashing a curling 25-metre strike into the corner, leaving Santos goalkeeper Rafael with no chance Wednesday.
But he went from hero to villain when he was shown a red card for his second bookable offence after a reckless 76th-minute tackle on Santos star Neymar, reported Xinhua.
Emerson will now be unavailable for the return match at the Pacaembu stadium in Sao Paulo next Wednesday.
The game was stopped for almost half an hour with only minutes remaining due to a partial power failure which left half of the pitch in darkness.
Neymar, who started the match with seven goals from 10 games in the tournament, was marked out of the match by a close knit Corinthians defence.
His Brazil international teammate Paulo Henrique Ganso, returning after undergoing surgery on his right knee May 25, also struggled to assert his usual influence.
Corinthians coach Tite played down the significance of the result when interviewed by TV journalists after the match.
“Nobody should be congratulating anybody. We haven’t won anything yet,” Tite said.
Defender Fabio Santos was more effusive.
“We knew it would be difficult to get this result and even more so to not concede a goal against a team with so much offensive talent,” Santos said.
“It was a fantastic result and fully deserved for the way we played.”
Argentina’s Boca Juniors will host Universidad de Chile in the other semi-final Thursday night.
- Boca beat Universidad in Copa Libertadores semis - Jun 15, 2012
- Santos equal record to cruise into Copa Libertadores quarter-finals - May 11, 2012
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Neymar-inspired Santos draw first blood in final - May 07, 2012
- Corinthians draw with Boca in Libertadores final - Jun 28, 2012
- Santos set to drop Elano for Libertadores semi-final - Jun 19, 2012
- Neymar dreaming of final against Boca - May 26, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Corinthians come from behind, Santos draw in season opener - Jan 22, 2012
- Santos slam Ponte Preta 6-1 in Sao Paulo state championship - Feb 26, 2012
- Corinthians win first Copa Libertadores title - Jul 05, 2012
- Santos take lead in Group A of Libertadores Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Ganso scores twice as Santos thrash Catanduvense - Apr 16, 2012
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: boca juniors, bookable offence, copa libertadores, corinthians, half an hour, offensive talent, paulo henrique, power failure, return match, rio de janeiro, striker, teammate, thursday night, tite, tv journalists, universidad de chile, vila, villain, wonder goal, xinhua