Corinthians release AdrianoMarch 13th, 2012 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 13 (IANS) Corinthians’ director Roberto de Andrade officially announced the football club’s decision to release striker Adriano on grounds of repeated disciplinary problems.
Adriano was with Corinthians for 11 months, reported Xinhua.
Arriving in April 2011, Adriano was subject to surgery in order to repair a torn ligament in his right shoulder. Later in the year, he tore his Achilles tendon, necessitating another operation and timely recovery.
In his stint with the club, the 30-year-old striker played in only eight matches, scoring twice. His contract with Corinthians expires at the end of June. For this reason, Corinthians will be obligated to pay Adriano for the remaining time on his contract, worth an estimated $1 million.
The club directors are attempting to negotiate a smaller sum by bargaining his departure to another team, hoping that his future club will absorb a percentage of his unpaid wages.
Flamengo is a possible candidate to receive Adriano. The striker helped Flamengo to win the 2009 Brazilian Championship and is a fan favourite.
- Corinthians fine defiant Adriano $40,000 - Jan 20, 2012
- Adriano to begin practicing with Flamengo - Mar 24, 2012
- Adriano signs with Flamengo - Aug 22, 2012
- Flamengo to re-sign Adriano, says coach - May 02, 2012
- Apologetic Adriano receives warning - Sep 05, 2012
- No decision yet on Adriano, says Flamengo president - Apr 21, 2012
- Corinthians settle legal battle with Adriano - Jun 03, 2012
- Flamengo upbeat about Adriano return - Jun 23, 2012
- Adriano cleared to resume training - Aug 21, 2012
- Former Brazilian striker Adriano released from hospital - Apr 15, 2012
- Adriano to have surgery on left foot - Apr 07, 2012
- Adriano celebrates weight loss on 30th birthday - Feb 18, 2012
- Adriano ordered to take extra training to reshape - Jan 11, 2012
- Flamengo still eyeing Adriano return - Aug 16, 2012
- Adriano can revive career with Flamengo: Zico - Apr 02, 2012
Tags: 1 million, achilles tendon, adriano, brazilian championship, club directors, contract worth, corinthians, disciplinary problems, football club, remaining time, rio de janeiro, roberto de andrade, stint, timely recovery, torn ligament, unpaid wages, xinhua