Cook eyeing to succeed Strauss as England one-day captainApril 10th, 2011 - 4:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 10(ANI): England batsman Alastair Cook has said that he is open to the idea of being the national captain, if Andrew Strauss decides to stand down in the wake of the Three Lions’ latest World Cup failure.
Cook deputised for Strauss as captain in two Tests and three ODIs against Bangladesh in March 2010, and also led England in his last Twenty20 international against South Africa.
“I really enjoyed being captain in Bangladesh last year. But if I never get the opportunity again and they decide whenever Straussy goes that someone else would do it better, then I will be disappointed, but fine about it,” the Independent quoted Cook, as saying.
“I don’t crave to be captain. If I was offered the chance, though, I’d like to do it, because captaining England is incredible and I would like to see how good I could be. Also, the pride Straussy must feel when his ideas come off and the team is successful must be amazing,” he added.
Strauss and coach Andy Flower will commence discussions about Strauss’s future as the one-day captain in the early part of May.
England was knocked out of the World Cup following their thumping 10-wicket defeat to Sri Lanka in the quarterfinals stage. (ANI)
- Appointing Cook is a big mistake by Flower: Greig - May 11, 2011
- Strauss to discuss England one-day captaincy with Flower in May - Mar 28, 2011
- Cook, Broad, Strauss to split England captaincy - May 05, 2011
- Cook an excellent leader: Flower - Oct 02, 2011
- T20 winning captain Collingwood back in team as regular trooper - May 18, 2010
- Finn backs Strauss to continue as Test and one-day captain - Apr 24, 2011
- Cook likely to be named England ODI captain - May 05, 2011
- Pietersen casts doubt on three-captain strategy - May 11, 2011
- After new captains, Boycott calls for new faces in England team - May 06, 2011
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Flower to take a short break after Test series - Aug 15, 2011
- Not after Test captaincy: Alastair Cook - Jun 26, 2011
- Andy Flower 'excited' about working with multiple England captains - May 06, 2011
- England will stay No.1 for a long time: Harminson - Oct 08, 2011
- Strauss, Cook, Flower get Queen's Birthday Honours - Jun 11, 2011
Tags: alastair cook, andrew strauss, andy flower, bangladesh, coach andy, england batsman, failure, london, odis, pride, south africa, sri lanka, three lions, twenty20 international, wicket, world cup